molassesonassis

For Those Who Attended The Fair: What Souvenirs Did You Bring Home?

Question, for those who went to the fair, what souvenirs did you bring home? NOT what you've collected since the fair has closed.

For example: My mom bought yards of Japanese fabric and a Hummel of a little boy playing with rabbits. I still have the Hummel & the dress she had made from the Japanese fabric. :D

I had a medallion with a pciture of the unisphere.I carried it around for decades until one day I discovered it was missing.Of course I had and still have a copy of the 65 guidebook which if I remember ,they were handing out for free near the end of the fair.

• Like 1

I remember getting many of the tab buttons from pavilions, and a Sinclair brontosaurus molded dinosaur. They've all disappeared over the years, but I have ONE thing-- a collection of geology rocks in a box. On the box lid I wrote in my 8-year-old handwriting "My Rocks from the World's Fair". I've never seen another one exactly like it- probably because nowhere on the box is printed World's Fair. I have no idea what pavilion I got it from.

I remember getting the Brontosaurus and my brother got the T-Rex. A year or two later he melted the tail off his T-Rex, playing with a magnifying glass on a hot summer day. I remember we used both of them playing the part of Godzilla with our green army men. Hey, back in those days we used IMAGINATION to play!

• Like 1

I still have my I've Seen New York State at the Fair pennant and snow globe that shows the day and date. Steve

• Like 1

Some simple items, all of which I lost and later replaced via ebay:

Ford "Illinois" badge; map; '65 guide book ( I think). I once had one of those flip-over perpetual calendars, but I can't recall if it was a WF one or something else.

• Like 1

An irradiated dime, a bust of Lincoln from a Mold-a-rama machine, countless "I Have Seen the Future" and Ford glow-in-the-dark pins (mostly for New York but a few from other common places).... I filled out requests for the records from GE's Progressland and Traveler's "The Triumph of Man" but those were sent to my house.

• Like 1

I

I brought home a lot of pamplets, a snow globe, from mold a rama: a brontosauraus, JFK bust, and a shuttle, and space lab from the Hall of Science. Lots of postcards, badges and pins from Sweden, Japan, Ford, GM. I was there NY World`s Fair large button. Records from Pepsi, and Tower of Light. 1964, and 65 guidebooks. AMF monorail box, that doubled as a seat, and the monorail pioneer sticker. A desktop flag set, one american, the other, the fair flag.

Fred Stern

• Like 1

My parents bought me a NYWF pennant, a tiny unisphere pencil sharpener and commemorative postage stamps at the Vatican pavilion. I still have them and I still have the guidebook and some of the pamphlets and stickers handed out by the pavilions. Oh, I forgot; I have a sugar cube from the Schaffer Center restaurant. It is wrapped with a Unisphere logo and states: International Exposition at Flushing Meadow Park. It is still in good condition.

• Like 1

I went away with a 65 guide book, GM pin, a Ford glo pin, three certificates for winning the Mobile Economy Run and my employee card which I think I had to give back or lost it. it was nice but strange walking throught the Fair on a Sat. morning going to work without the crowds.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies!

Still have: Toy Glide a ride, bicycle license plate, small world and travellers records, Ford pin, guide book and various postcards and pamphlets.

Lost: NY pavilion banner, giant straw Chinese hat.

My mother brought home a "stick" where the two ends were dipped in wax. Cut off the wax, stick it in dirt and viola! Houseplant. It came from either the China or Korea pavilion.

• Like 1

I have some stuff that I took home with me from my Greyhound gig - my hat badge (which I used to use to get free rides on Greyound buses, though it didn't always work), and my (ha ha) Aetna Safe Driving Award, and some maps and my id cards from both years, and the instruction manual for the GM bus, and some cartoons I drew about my job, and some other stuff that I'm forgetting right now I think.

• Like 2

Here's a photo of my mom in the dress that was made from the Japanese silk bought at the fair. (I still have it.) Additionally here's pictures of the Hummels my mom & grandma bought at the fair.

I'd forgotten my grandfather bought a Vita-Mix at the fair.

The fair had so much more available than traditional souvenirs. There really was something for everyone! :)

post-1405-0-64910800-1401657512_thumb.jppost-1405-0-49781100-1401657569_thumb.jppost-1405-0-21488600-1401657589_thumb.jp

...and some cartoons I drew about my job,...

Larry is there any way we can persuade you to share those cartoons with a bunch of people who would appreciate them? You can scan them or take a pic with a cell phone camera. Or photocopy and mail them to someone who has the technology.

Those are unique! As a fair goer I'd love to see them!

I'd forgotten my grandfather bought a Vita-Mix at the fair.

Interesting! I'll bet that was at the Better Living Center. They had seemingly a bit of everything.

Even the "Veg-a-Matic" guys were there. ("It slices, it dices...")

It was. The fair helped launch Vitamix into the national market. They were one of the first companies to do TV infomercials as early as 1949.

Did some research on the Hummel my grandmother bought called "Favorite Pet" and it was one of a handful Hummel introduced at the fair. She bought it because her pet name for my mom was "Lambey."

The fair had so many great things to buy aside from the pennants, salt & pepper shakers & goofy hats.

Had I been alive at the time of the fair I would have gone nuts in the West Virginia Glass shop.

Larry is there any way we can persuade you to share those cartoons with a bunch of people who would appreciate them? You can scan them or take a pic with a cell phone camera. Or photocopy and mail them to someone who has the technology.

Those are unique! As a fair goer I'd love to see them!

I'll have to look for them - probably only one left actually - but I haven't seen it in a long time - I hope it hasn't disappeared. It was one of me sitting in my bus getting besieged by billions of questions, as I always was, and harassed by my nemesis, the Pinkertons and Mister P. If I can find it I'll scan it.

Oh, another souvenir I still have is my final pay stub (pay was $2.80 an hour plus time and a half overtime).

When I went to the Fair about for that movie preview and gettogether about ten years ago, I thought it was real cool that some stranger came over to me and asked me directions, like he somehow sensed that I belonged there, so, just for old times sake, I sent him the wrong way.

:)

Presumably the statute of limitations on being out of uniform for not wearing my hat, and losing an entire bus filled up with passengers, and crashing into Dempsey Dumpsters, has expired, so I wasn't worried about Mr P being there and still looking for me.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that cartoon is gone. I haven't seen it in a long time and I can't find it. Just as well. It was pretty childish as I recall (not that my jokes have improved any since), I did find a few other "souvenirs", though: Three American Airlines "fly to the NY World's Fair" hand cleaner packets, unopened (where did I get them?); a packet of Greetings From The NY World's Fair pictures with a place for a 1 1/2 cent postage ("without message") stamp...whoa, that's from 1939! (where did I get that?); a 1964 and a 1965 Greyhound WF route map; a 1965 official guide book (original cost $1); a Sinclair Dinoland brochure (kind of falling apart); and an article clipped out of Popular Mechanics called "Whatever became of the predicted effortless world", which is my question too; plus the aforementioned '64 and '65 season pass issued by Greyhound, and the Safe Driving Award (my proudest posession) issued by Aetna, and the final, 10/14/65, Greyhound at the World's fair, Inc. paystub, 40.5 reg. hours + 31.8 O/T (the final week was very busy!).

• Like 1

We came away with pamphlets, extras monorail discount tickets, Mobil checklist with items that my father checked and the receipt for the admission ticket booklet. For actual souvenirs, we bought an orange jumbo pencil and a blue jumbo pencil. I also had a blue clip-on neck tie with an orange Unisphere printed on it but a few years later my dog chewed it up...

• Like 1

I also had a blue clip-on neck tie with an orange Unisphere printed on it but a few years later my dog chewed it up...

I'll bet your dog is dead now. :D

Well, she was a pedigree Boxer that died at five years old from Leukemia, otherwise who knows?

I was spending my money on film and food so I didn't buy a lot of souvenirs. I do have a box of all the free give-away items I picked up, and have kept it seperate from all of the stuff I collected in later years. I just looked through it recently and it sure brought back some happy memories.

• Like 1