I don't think I "know" enough to check facts thoughout the book. I do have about 22 of the 1933 World's Fair Weeklies and can look up specific topics. Have you had access to them? There is a lot of stuff in them that I never read or don't remember. I didn't remember seeing anything about the submarine, but fond a nice one page article on it with a good picture.

post-6306-0-75409900-1405124431_thumb.jp

I made this image big enough to read, but the preview shows it it a thumbnai size. How do I make it fill the space so it can be seen clearly?

In spite of what the article says was in store for the S-49, it was not scrapped in 1936, but went on to be exhibited at the 1937 Expo in Cleveland, and up and down the east coast. And to make matters even more strange it was brought back into the U.S. Navy in 1941, but sunk in 1942 just 525 yards from Point Patience, Maryland.

There's a story on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-49_(SS-160)

I have a pile of the weeklies - I will pull them out when I get home in about 10 days and will list the ones I have. Maybe we can help each other out!

One last call for folks interested in reviewing the manuscript for me. I hope to have it done, at least the first pass, tonight. All help with getting the bugs and gremlins eradicated is greatfully appreciated.

When the dust settles I'll see about getting some of the weekly newspapapers scanned and online. That's assuming I survive the race to the end - Arcadia keeps advancing the deadline hoping I can fill in a hole something else left in their schedule...

I posted this on Facebook but thought I would share it here.

Last night I finished the draft of my newest book. This one is on the 1933-34 Chicago World's Fair. There's always a mix of emotions on finishing projects like this.

Good points:
1) I don't have to stay up until 2 AM working on a crazy deadline
2) I don't have to go through hundreds if not thousands of pictures looking for the perfect one
3) I don't have to agonize over coming out one page short, or having too many pictures of one subject and none of one I really want

Bad points
1) I now have to worry about what the editors will do to my "perfect baby" (with this being my 8th book for Arcadia Publishing I'm not really too worried. I think we know each other by now.)
2) I have to come up with a new excuse to not clean out the garage.

Perhaps a book on... no, no, I'm not going to start one today! No!

Perhaps Monday.

cover-mockup.jpg

• Like 1

Applause! Applause!

Maybe it is just an unimportant detail in this context, but I just read the little description about the Bendix Lama Temple @http://www.billcotter.com/misc/1933chicago/sample-photos-and-captions.pdf, it says, "The roof alone reqiered more than $25 000 of 23-karat leaf gold", but this is not ture. I have read some old local newpaper from that time that said the same thing, though. I know for sure that it was a false statement, for any possible reason one mitht guess, but tragically, this false statement could have been the sole course that almost the entire roof was late melt down by some crazy scrape-dealer to regain the gold. But there was no gold!

I have several resources that state the roof was gilded. They could all be wrong, of course. What data do you have that shows other-wise? I'd love to clear that up.

I just got my first copies of the book in today. It's always a thrill to see the results of all of the research and writing.

I'll have it on my site later today for ordering. It officially goes on sale on February 5 on sites like Amazon.

The book is officially on sale at Amazon, which says it is the #1 New Release in Monument Photography. I'm not really sure how much of an honor that is, but it's better than being #2. Or last.