Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

A wide slide of June

HI All, (error - title should be "Slice" - "A Wide Slice of June" - not a slide but a print)

Another new addition. Pretty spectacular and again, just a small detail of a huge photograph. Not seen much like this and in such quality focus. It was a wonderland. This is proof. I am trying to show you all new/rare subjects (8th Avenue WF Station for eample, construcion, use and demoliton in that case) and unusual views (these 2 last posts). I think I now have just about "every" building (in one way or another) in construction, in use 39/40, and demotion.

post-434-0-95116300-1399557882_thumb.jpg

June 20th, 1939, the New York World's Fair at night seem from (? - its 9 am...), © EKL Images 2014

Enjoy,

Eric

You bet that this is proof; not that I needed any more evidence to know it was a wonderland.

It is a remarkable photograph. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Jim

Hey Jim,

You are welcome! I thought this would be liked. In color....

Oh, I know you don't need "proof" - I just like showing it :D

Best wishes always,

Eric

"...the 1964 Fair is bigger, it's better...you could fit '39 in a parking lot..." - Robert Moses, paraphrased from 1963/64 promo video

Eric, I often think that monochrome can be more powerful than color. In this case, the photo is just perfect.

Jim

Hi Jim :)

I agree re monochrome! One look at say...The Third man...and that's that! I realized this photo was taken from the GCP with the lake and Amusements to the right.

Best wishes,

Eric

Hi Jim,

Let's hear it for b/w film...in this case Verichrome at the 1939 NYWF. I have this on offer but posted here as I think it is a truly stunning vintage photograph and composition. Triple weight, pearl finish from Kodak archives/Ex-Warner Collection. Two details for this one as it is just incredible luxe quality in monochrome. Fully rounded in its value. Not restored - those few specks sit on my scanner. This is the just kind of photograph I am proud to have in my stock and hope to be remembered for offering. This photograph is obviously and easily better than half my color slides and I don't collect Kodak interiors. Look at the lighting, the curve, the people and those vectors...so sharp and voluminous for 2 dimension representation...

post-434-0-54086300-1399696758_thumb.jpg

Interior; Kodak Verichrome exhibit at the New York World's Fair of 1939 © EKL Images

post-434-0-94445300-1399696800_thumb.jpg

post-434-0-72054200-1399696820_thumb.jpg

Eric

Eric, I really like that first shot. It says so much about 1939. The clothing, the fonts on the display boards, the art deco sweep of the curves and even the ceiling fixtures they must be lighting fixtures) all shout 1939. Just look at how those folks are dressed. They had pride in their appearance for sure. What a great shot.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks. This shot is superb. I don't mind saying so. It really does say "1939" as much as any Motoman photo - maybe more as not as generic. I seriously have to rethink selling it. I mean, look at it (speaking privately). Both those chrome (?) fixtures in the ceiling and the recessed lighting...that curve...the way the people are looking at the exhibit...the way they dressed highlights the...what...reverance (?yes) demonstrated by the public with regard to this (IMHO) greatest of all exhibitions (with regard to many things, including its record in color and relevance ie things/materials already in use and certain "predictions"). It is a measure, those clothes and attention to personal appearance, staged shot or not. Literally, no casual affair. You have to look at many images for a truly underdressed person, no judgement on choice. As Trey observed, try getting a "modern" 10 year old to dress in this general manner on a hot summers day. I guess I am now not selling this photograph. Many times I have come close to selling myself my own material when writing descriptions. Oh well. ;) It is the finest photograph I have encountered hitting on all....cylinders, so to speak. It is as sharp or sharper than my 1907 Mauretania contact prints and glass plates and this is a paper print. And it is Kodak '39 WF. What was I thinking.

Best wishes,

Eric

Hi All,

I took the photo above and labeled a lot of it :)

I had to make correction - it is from WF Blvd, GCP is on the left. Actually, as it shows WF Blvd, it might be from Florida - it is an elevetate view. Florida is my guess. This is inside Fair grounds. No, it was taken from that club - what was it called??? Left of Florida. For special guests. If you know the area, there are exit ramps loops from GCP curling into the WF Blvd., and things are quite close. The Amusements if off to extreme right. The bridge to get there from Power, the Empire State Bridge, is seen here almost flat on. Unusual vantage this. To get Petroleum flat on with US Steel to its left...the only thing in that area is this club (and Florida - but then US Steel appears too far to the right) - that is the only vantage to get this alignment and also see these two roads like this. Thoughts? If this was taken from that club, this is a special photograph beyond the obvious image quality.

post-434-0-79816600-1400810625_thumb.jpg

June 1939 NYWF from WF Club whose name I can't recall.

Best wishes,

Eric

NOTE - You are seeing Westinghouse on its side here (unusual) - so although that looks like the Communications Building under the Communications Pylons, that is actually the window of the southern Hall of the Westinghouse Building.

Hello :)

Any opinions on the vantage here? And should I label more like this? Am I making a mistake thinking everyone knows all the buildings by sight?

Thanks,

Eric

Edit to add - What the bleep is this club called? It was Whalen's hangout next to Perylon Hall, no?