Bill Cotter

Want a really special souvenir?

You can see the formula available now is the new formula- which is kind of glossy. The formula used in '64-65 didn't have that kind of sheen on it.

$_57.JPG

Jerry Bagels must be spinning in his grave. He would have jumped all over this!!

What's the story on that Moldville-triple machine, Randy?

That's a damn good photoshop if it actually is.

I believe it's real - too much authentic wide angle lens distortion, the sign stretching across all three - would take a real engineer as well as artist and a long time to construct a fake to look like this.

The MOLDVILLE.COM type is definitely faked in Photoshop, but the rest of that image is pretty darned impressive if it's made up from Moldarama images.

Only eBay can pull the listing down like that. If a seller cancels it still shows up. My guess is someone hit them with a trademark complaint and eBay pulled it.

I can't imagine that these things show up very often on eBay, so I'm assuming that this is the same machine that Bill started the thread with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231225842100

This is a pretty amazing thing to imagine (as that's all I'll ever be able to do with something as expensive as this) owning! To not only have an actual PIECE of the Fair, but to also have the ability to create genuine (except for the new plastic I suppose) BRAND-NEW 1964-65 NYWF memorabilia is kind of mind-blowing. I guess people had better be careful in the future if they see listings for mint condition NYWF Mold-A-Rama Unispheres that look brand new--they just might be!

post-894-0-34391200-1399571755_thumb.jpg

post-894-0-33505400-1399571789_thumb.jpg

The original company was split apart and one part got the old name. The others had to use ones that were close but not identical.

It looks like that company didn't trademark the Mold-a-Rama name until long after the original company was dissolved (they didn't file for it until 2003, per the US patent & trademark office website). So I suppose from 1968-2003 it was a Mold-a-Rama free-for-all. Melted plastic anarchy. It seems odd that eBay would delist anything based on the use of a trade name though. Under that logic wouldn't Coca Cola machines and Xerox copiers be off-limits?

... It seems odd that eBay would delist anything based on the use of a trade name though. Under that logic wouldn't Coca Cola machines and Xerox copiers be off-limits?

The problem is calling something a Moldarama or Xerox machine when it isn't. No problem listing a real Xerox machine as such, but if it's really another brand, Xerox could complain.