Sign in to follow this  
waynebretl

ESSO Road News 1938

Colonial ESSO Road News, September 15, 1938.

Mentions Fair construction "All N. Y. Watches As Its Fair Rises," p.3 - views possible from Grand Central Parkway or Horace Harding Boulevard.

Also on p.3, note that there was a Museum of Science and Industry in Rockefeller Center. I never knew that. Anyone have more info?

Also, on p.1, RCA was showing closed-circuit demos of television to the public at Radio City - a prelude to the introduction of broadcast TV service at the Fair in 1939, although the Road News doesn't know that, of course.

Esso Road News 1938s.pdf

The schedule of fall attractions is interesting, too. I well remember the Danbury Fair.

Here's an undated Rockefeller Center tour folder from about the same time. It has some info on the science museum, and also had a loose insert about the TV demo. (3.6 MB pdf file)

http://www.bretl.com/tvarticles/documents/RockefellertourbkltwithTVinsertca1938.pdf

That's interesting. Thanks for posting that, Wayne.

Rock Center has always been my go-to spot in the city. There was always some free display or event as far back as I can remember, which is just the 60s. I see that place has been evolving from the get go.

I knew nothing about the science museum. I assume the sky gardens are not currently included in tours. They certainly are not the sole focus as described in the pamphlet.

I saw into the closed Rainbow Room and ate in the Rainbow Grill. That beautiful venue was looking for a white knight last I heard.

My small high school class got a private tour of the NBC studios in 1971 or so. Struck by how how ratty all the sets looked compared to on tv. And there were awesome secret stairs and passages to rival the Winchester Mansion.

But I'll bet few other teens paid $0.85 to sneak a quart of beer onto the observation deck on a weeknight when it was deserted and gaze out at the lights of the city.

... Struck by how how ratty all the sets looked compared to on tv...

I was also when I visited sets years ago. They've had to improve things a bit since the advent of high definition TV. Plus, the talent needs heavier makeup to hide the wrinkles.

"Family Guy" had a gag about that, Wayne. Peter was in love with a newscaster until he bought an HD set. You can imagine how they portrayed the character in HD!