JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

Holiday wish

Hi John,

Same to you, and your family, as well as to everyone else here. I had a thought, I`ve seen photographs from past Macy`s Thanksgiving Day parades highlighting the 1939, and 1964 fairs. Maybe next year Macy`s coul;d pay tribute to both fairs in the 2014 parade.

Well, again enjoy the holiday

Fred

Is this the one that went over to the Boy Scout's exhibit at the Fair?

Ralph, if you can easily put your hands on the photo, could you repost?  I haven't seen many shots of the Boy Scout's exhibit, except for troop patches and merit badges.

Being a scout myself, I remember being slightly underwhelmed by the Scout exhibit.  I don't remember any drive in my troop for donations or anything like it to make a more impressionable showing at the World's Fair, and I know they didn't have the money to put on a bigger show. 

I do remember going to the exhibit, and shaking hands with most the scouts there, some from all over the country.  That I was encouraged to do by my Scoutmaster before I left Massachusetts to go to the Fair.  

Fun times.

Thanks for the link.

Question: Exactly how big was the Boy Scout exhibit?

There are three sizes listed in worldsfairphotos.com. attachments.

1 1/2 acres (per The Wonderful World of Scouting--1965), a little over 1/2 acre (26,851 sq ft) (per The Wonderful World of Scouting), and 1/2 acre (per The Christian Science Monitor).

Was this a case of a bigger exhibit in the planning stages which later got reduced?

From what I remember, it seemed to be about 1/2 acre.

Bill, was this the same model of the Unisphere that was at the Boy Scout's exhibit?  You probably saw it more than anyone else.