xl5er

Raymond Lowey Google Doodle

Today's Google Doodle is for Raymond Loewy, iconic industrial designer.

(Google's Doodle used to be occasional but now seems almost daily so I often don't investigate, but the train piqued my curiosity. Glad I checked.)

Born in France, office in London, but America should be happy to claim him.

• Like 1

While literally everyone on earth, including the Bushman in The Gods Must Be Crazy, has encountered Lowey's work, many outside the hallowed intellectual halls of PTU do not know there was one man responsible for designing so much we see and touch around us since the latter half of the 20th century.

While I'm posting I'd like to also mention a similar situation for what we hear.

Leroy Anderson must have slept through the self promotion seminar. I wager most everyone is familiar with his diverse music without realizing they are all created by one individual. His Typewriter Song, Sleigh Ride, and Syncopated Clock are familiar to my generation at least, and if there is justice in the world, will be for generations to come.

The name is... Leroy Anderson.

• Like 1

Raymond Loewy not only designed the S1 Locomotive, which was on display at the 1939 New York World's Fair-- but he also designed the entire Chrysler Exhibit.

Here he is pictured with the former:

PRR-S1-Loewy-copy2.jpg

And here he is posing in the latter:

9460-403929-Raymond_Loewy.jpg

I cant believe that a man with an huge body of work, that still touches our everyday lives, is virtually unknown and unheralded.

(outside of special interest groups like ours).

Maybe he should have designed "twerking", then at least others may have heard of him. :(

I did the same thing--I clicked on that google image. Mr. Lowey was a prolific designer and creator and did some wonderful work. I did not find a reference to the Chrysler exhibit, however. I am glad to learn of that achievement.

Hi All,

Yes, he did the Rocketport at Chrysler. I tried to find the file, and it is in here somewhere, but I seem to have one of the only candids of this Focal Exhibit. It is quite a photo perhaps you might recall. Wish I could find it. Loewy also did some interior cabin designs for H. Hughes I think.

Best wishes,

Eric