Jim

Guide Book

I just purchased a Guide Book for Expo 70 and it is in almost perfect condition. I found it at a used book store and paid a staggering 50 cents for it. I gather this particular item is not in great demand.

It is interesting and it is in English. Other than a few odd typos, it is well written and organized.

It has one odd section, however. In the first part of the book there are several pages devoted to past world's fairs and expositions and a brief statement about their legacies. All the great fairs are included including The Century of Progress, 1937 Paris Exposition 1939 NYWF, Brussels in 1958, Seattle's Century 21 and Expo 67. There is no mention of the 1965 NYWF. It jumps right over it. Considering it was just five years previous and that Japan participated, I thought that was unfortunate. Not all of the fairs they do include had BIE sanction so I am wondering what the logic might have been.

On the other hand, maybe that is why the thing only cost fifty cents and the truth is, if there had been a guidebook to almost any other fair ever held, I would have bought that instead. Expo 70 never really sparked my interest but I wanted to walk out with something interesting in my hand and this guide was the closest thing to my objective.

Hi Jim,

I writting from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I´m an architect and I´m reseraching about the Brazilian pavillion in Osaka 70. But there is a reallt tiny information about it. Could tou please let me know if there is any picture or info in the Guide Book for Expo 70 that you found? It would be so helpfull for me.

Thank you so much,

Sergio

Sergio,

I have several pictures of the Brazil Pavilion from the Expo 70 Hi-Lite Album and the Official Guide as well. It will take me a couple days to locate and scan but I will post them as soon as I can.

Randy

i don't know if you have found the information elsewhere but the 1964/65 was never an official BIE World's Fair.

The official one were 1962 Seattle and 1967 Montreal but Robert Moses ignored the BIE.

The insults were probably the straw that broke the BIE back, but the fact that in 1967 Montreal was hosting the official fair and Montreal is only a few hours away from New York, the BIE did not want one so close both time wise and geographically close to Montreal. If it had been in Atlanta, they might have given permission.

http://www.nywf64.com/true_fair02.shtml

This website explains what happened.

In order to accomplish his goals Moses had determined that the Fair must operate for two seasons. Additionally he would charge exhibitors rental fees for the site they would occupy at the Fair. These plans were a direct violation of B.I.E. rules. That and the fact that a Universal Exposition was already sanctioned within the ten-year-span limit put the B.I.E. and the New York World's Fair Corporation, in the formidable form of Robert Moses, in direct conflict.

Perhaps the B.I.E. would have been able to come to a compromise with New York had not Mr. Moses decided to make an issue of their differences. His insulting comments to the press regarding the B.I.E. and their rules so angered B.I.E. officials that they not only took the action of denying New York official permission to host the Fair in 1964; they specifically requested their member nations not to participate in the New York World's Fair!

This created a rather awkward situation back in New York. How can it be a World'sFair if the world can't come? As a result of the B.I.E. decision the list of International participants contains some noticeable absences with Canada, Great Britain, Italy, Germany and Australia among those choosing not to exhibit. To be sure, in the end, there were many International participants. However most were hosted by industrial or tourist interests in lieu of official government sponsorship.

I think the order was:

1. NYWF applied for BIE recognition, including sending a delegation to France to discuss it.

2. BIE turned them down.

3. Moses basically said 'who cares, we don't need them anyway', albeit in Moses' language of choice. :D He was right about some of the things he said about the BIE.

4. The degree to which BIE directed or suggested that member nations stay away is not clear. It would be good to have more documentation on that.

Not sure about that Bill. They had two buidings. One included industrial exhibits, the other was more cultural-centered. Maybe both were privately sponsored.