Bill Cotter

The Fair at night #2

All of these photographs are incredible, however the shots of the US Pavilion are simply overwhelming. GM Fa├žade is pretty impressive ....

...you see, there was this ladder... and every evening at dusk this little Sudanese guy climbed up into the tower with an oil lamp....

post-164-0-26961000-1380854734_thumb.jpg

These are so stunning - I almost forgot to ask my usual question - what kind of film?

I don't know off hand, Wayne. I scanned them about 3 years ago and am just restoring them now. I'll see if I can get over to the storage facility soon and look at the slides to see.

I'm guessing Kodachrome and long exposures on a tripod - they sure are "National Geographic" quality.

• Like 1

Very few people in the shots. I wonder what time of night he took these?

Note the ghosted pedestrians in the night shot of Sudan. Can you estimate the exposure from their streaks, Wayne?

Very few people in the shots. I wonder what time of night he took these?

Note the ghosted pedestrians in the night shot of Sudan. Can you estimate the exposure from their streaks, Wayne?

There was time for people to move some number of feet for part of the exposure, and then stop for much of it. So, over 1 second or more for sure, but how much is hard to guess since you can't tell just how long they stood still.

Here's a 1-second exposure of some moving and stationary people for comparison:

4957674325_0ba8af7e52_b.jpg

IMG_4561cr by old_tv_nut, on Flickr