Doug Seed

For you military aircraft buffs - Also Airship ride over SFO

Ooh - I like!

I got $1.83 in my pocket - anyone want to go partners on one?

The Zeppelin was very interesting.

So much more advanced than the old Goodyear blimp that would lob in our hangar at Ansett in the 90s.

Fly by wire, tail rotors and pitch motors......who would have thunk it?

There was a recent news story on TV the other night about Aeroscraft in California rolling out their new ship.

Interesting "landing gear".

http://defense-update.com/20130911_aeroscraft.html

I'll toss the question out there so the answer becomes part of this thread... (I'm pretty sure I know, but let's get it posted)

What's the difference between a zeppelin and a blimp?

A blimp is inflated with helium like a balloon.

A dirigible (Zeppelin) has a rigid structure inside like an airplane, but has bags suspended inside the metal structure and those bags are individually inflated with helium.

It could be that today's dirigibles substitute composite materials for the girder structure instead of metal alloys, to save weight.

Watch the movie The Hindenburg and it has good interior views of people walking around on catwalks inside the metal girder structure. The Hindenburg was so big that it had hotel rooms built inside it, a dining room, kitchens, even a smoking room if you can believe that (they didn't have access to helium so they used *highly* flammable hydrogen).

Here is a view of the Hindenburg being built. Blimps don't have a structure like this.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1986-127-05%2C_Bau

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1986-127-05,_Bau_des_Luftschiffs_LZ_129_"Hindenburg"

As an aside, apropos of nothing, my Dad took a trip back to Germany in 1937, and sailed with some of the surviving crew from the Hindenburg.
Even have a picture of them. A brush with infamy.

Boy I bet THOSE guys had stories to tell! I understand that some of them hard VERY long hospital stays before they were in any shape to sail back home.