Great first-hand account of his visit to the World's Fair in St. Louis-- by none other than Geronimo himself.

http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/biographies/geronimo/at-the-worlds-fair.php

Geronimo's penciled autograph (all caps) to a German visitor on a 1904 World's Fair Postcard for the Tyrolean Alps attraction.

The German Visitor then wrote for himself 'I saw Geronimo!'

This postcard was auctioned for $4,331.88 on January 23, 2009.

post-164-0-36598200-1378736248_thumb.jpg

The thing about those late 19th century and early 20th century fairs that often strikes me is the ethnocentric point of view of the host nations. The ethnic villages, colonial exhibits, native displays and the like were curiosities and side shows. Those native peoples were never presented in any sort of fair or accurate manner. The Edison films of the Japanese village or "Darkest Africa" at the 1901 Pan American Exposition are pathetically comical today.

Geronimo's account is most interesting and it is good to know he rode the Ferris Wheel. But when he got to the part about his "keeper" it reminded me that he was just a side show himself. This great Apache warrior was a curiosity making a few bucks whenever he was able. A year later, he rode in TR's inaugural parade and then was returned to Fort Sill in Oklahoma. He was never allowed to return to Arizona. He was a prisoner until he died.