Sign in to follow this  
bobster1985

How the Fair might look

Hi :)

Nice stuff! Some of these I recall from the Museum of the City of NY show years back - 1995 or so. The Chemicals and Plastics Building was built - I recall I have a color slide of it an night somewhere. It was hard to identify - it is a close-up view of the prism.

The concession stand shown here heavily influenced the umm...oh gosh - between the two entrances..LIRR/BMT/IRT etc..special events(?) I recall it wound up covered in signs about Tommy Dorsey and the other orchestras of the day. IIRC the two towers were to resemble hairpins.

Those E.P. Chrystie watercolors are finished sketches done from life - 1939 from what I can see, and overall they indicate someone who saw these structures as built. I have not seen any rendering that gets multiple buildings correct along with the trees, color and lighting on all things shown. If that GM canopy was added in 1940 as it appears from the photographic record, then the the GM watercolor is late 1939 or 1940.

The tidal bridge appears to be the Bridge of :( Flags? ...the bridge we walked to first in 2007 meet in February with Don, Wally, Cecelia and her two pooches.

Oh - as you can see my memory is not what it was. :mellow:

Best wishes,

Eric

• Like 1

At first I thought that these were original ideas for exhibits that were eventually built and I had seen many long ago when I did some research at the Museum of the City of New York. But then I saw the "woven label association showing room" and while I am not positive, I don't believe there was ever any such exhibit or anything related to it. I can't find it in my guide book. And for whatever it's worth, I cannot imagine anybody saying, "hold on dear, let's go to that woven label pavilion first; I hear it's wonderful."

PS: You are providing so much great info, bobster. It is like sensory overload for a 1939 NYWF enthusiast. Many thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Yes indeed- great stuff here.

The woven label thing - its designers seem to have made careful study of the Ford Wheel of Progress from 1933 and the rendering also bears some resemblance to the '39 Ford Wheel as well. At first that is what I thought I was looking at but I could find no V8 or whatever that logo was around the railing in '33 (obviously, cars are not my strong point - while I think V8 is correct I also think it is a drink so...). :)

Eric

Eric, I don't see a V8 (engine or drink) in that photo either. For some reason that reminded me of a wonderful Colonel Potter statement on MASH when they received an incorrect shipment: "We order rectal thermometers; we get spark plugs. Both useful items but hardly interchangeable."

In any event, I still suspect a woven label pavilion would have been something of a dud. :D

Jim