The Philippine Exhibit was very large. In 1904, we were will still dealing with the repercussions of the Philippine Insurrection. There had been nearly 5,000 US fatalities and as many as 34,000 Filipino deaths (some indicate as many as 200,000 Filipinos died). It was a violent, brutal mess that many historians call "our first Vietnam."

Thanks for posting. They certainly weren't northern hemisphere centric in orienting that map.

I did some comparing to Google Earth - didn't realize that the fair, as large as it was, did not cover all of Forest Park, but the west end plus land further west.

Jim, it's practically unknown by Americans today, but the Philippine war was a truly nasty affair and America's first real experience of colonialism. I believe waterboarding was invented by the U.S. Army there.

And like all issues of colonialism, there was a great deal of regret. In fact, we had supported Emilio Aguinaldo who was leading a rebellion against Spain in the mid to late 1890's. Once we attacked Manila in 1898 following the sinking of the Maine in Havana harbor (at the orders of under secretary of the Navy, Theodore Roosevelt who was acting completely on his own) we convinced Aguinaldo to support us. He fully expected we were there to grant Philippine independence as we said we were doing in Cuba and felt bitterly betrayed when that did not happen. Our argument was that if we did grant independence, then Germany or even Britain might move in and we were there to protect the people of the Philippines. Thus began a long and very brutal conflict when Aguinaldo led a fight against us. It is all but forgotten to history and I don't even know if there is an official memorial in DC. We were eager to forget it ever happened.

Most historians no longer consider this war to have been an insurrection. That is how colonialism colored it at the time. In truth it is better listed as the Philippine-American War.

• Like 1

The U.S. Congress apologized for the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy, but not for our behavior in the Philippines. Perhaps that's because Hawaii had two senators to push the legislation through, and the Philippines do not.

bobster, the PBS American Experience film, "1900," has an astounding account of this war and some of the most terrible of atrocities committed in jungle combat. It is a wonderful film that provides a time capsule like glimpse into the dawn of the 20th Century.

• Like 1

Could someone help me locate the airfield on this map? which quarter? Also, does anyone know if the 100K competition ever was awarded for solo flight in a dirigible? I've

researched but can't find an answer to that question. Of course, it would be great to know who actually entered the competition as well.