Sign in to follow this  
bobster1985

A real entrepreneur

Wow. There is Walter Dorwin Teague. He designed the NCR pavilion (the giant cash register) at the '39 NYWF and the US Steel exhibit. He also designed the US Science Pavilion in Seattle. I had forgotten he was a member of the 1939 NYWF design team. It is very interesting that this group would climb into that rickety looking airplane (and note the article about the plane crash on the same page) and take off to visit two expositions in 1936. What an interesting thought that there was a world's fair in the US every year between 1933 and 1940 and most of those years, there were two!

Wow, they took land from over 700 property owners? I guess it was a lot more than just the ash dumps, which I had assumed were city owned. Maybe they were private enterprises owned by individual haulers?

There are some descriptions of the area surrounding the ash dump that became Flushing Meadow Park in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. The setting is the 1920's and I would have to reread those chapters but he describes gas stations and even small private homes (not exactly prime real estate in 1925).