Bill Cotter

Oh, these lucky people

I've never seen anything like that in any other photo.

I'll bet they're not even intended as hats, but these intrepid folks flipped them over. :D

Hey Bill, isn't that a nun down there by the China Pavilion? :D

The red/pink looks like some kind of sheer fabric pulled down through a couple of holes [?].

Those hats have a shape similar to the decorative nut that holds the lamp assembly to the bottom of my ceiling fan. Maybe if you twisted one, it would wind the lady's hair into a bun. :D

Ok, I'm being goofy, but I wonder if there are any details to be seen in the top of the lower right one with a max resolution scan - at first I thought there might be some lettering, but now I think it's just jpeg artifacts.

By the angle of the shot, and the one support rod holding up the deck. The photographer was on the steps connecting the third and fourth decks. Maybe he wanted to make sure to get those hats in to drive us crazy almost fifty years later.

Woman in red: "I just heard a shutter click - better set our time-travel hats back to 2013 and get out of here."

Since these seem to be designed for women, I think we need to ask some women if they have ever seen anything like them.

Our office assistant says that she has seen a pattern for similar hats, homemade of stiff wiry crochet or starched cotton. She thinks may be able to find a pattern in the collection of patterns left her by her aunt. Stay tuned.

My consultant says no framework is needed once the piece has been shaped. Also, some shaping can be done by the stitch pattern, like a cable-knit sweater. She plans to look through her pattern collection this weekend.

The thing that has me suspending judgement is that the photo does not show any obvious indication that the hats are crocheted and not either a white felt or plastic.

Found a straw hat on ebay with a fabric tie, but not the exotic shape, plus has World's Fair badging, which the ones above do not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1964-65-Worlds-Fair-N-Y-C-Straw-Ladies-Bonnet/163937607426?hash=item262b715f02:g:Tm8AAOSwfjtdxvKv

I got to a lot of places at the fair, but I can't explain why my itinerary didn't include the NYS towers. Maybe it was the long lines. I missed a great photo opportunity and seriously regret it. 

It reminds me of the episode of I Love Lucy when Ricky and Fred trick their wives into wearing horse feed bags as a hat because the women believe the things were created by a famous Parisian designer.

Truth is if those women were forced to wear those things when they were in public they would be indignant.  People wear some strange crap (convinced it’s cool or charming or something) when it’s their own choice, however.

I still remember standing there and absorbing that view. One could almost touch the Unisphere

Let’s not forget those boss, glass windowed, exterior, yellow, capsule elevators. I think that’s the part I liked most.