Beeceemark

1966 Expo '67 Construction Pictures

Hi all:

My father was the commissioner of the Sermons From Science pavilion at Expo '67. While he died in 2001, I have finally started to take a concerted effort at going through all dad's Expo memorabilia, photos, correspondence, manuals, etc.

Attached is my first effort at posting what some of you should find interesting: construction pics. I was emotionally moved seeing these and trust they will be meaningful to you. Hope they come out clearly enough. I have quite a few more, but need to save them in smaller formats, given the 2mb limit here. Will post quite a few more shortly.

First pic is the Gyrotron at La Ronde. Second pic is an early construction photo of Place des Nations. Third photo speaks for itself.

Mark Price

Victoria BC

Expo 2.pdf

Expo 3.pdf

Expo 4.pdf

Expo 5.pdf

Expo 6.pdf

Expo 7.pdf

Expo 8.pdf

I have attached a few more. Number 3 is Place des Nations under construction, number 4 is a very early photo of the US pavilion under construction, and number 5 is a good shot of the US and Russian pavilions.

These are quite nice and very usefull - can't wait for the rest!

BTW I recently made a small document presenting this pavilion - here's the link to it :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13503829/Fiche%20Sermon%20Science_Final_WEB.pdf

Unfortunately, it's in french but it's well illustrated

Thanks for this, Roger. Looks great!

I often think that it must have been an exciting time living in Montreal and watching Expo growing and taking shape on the islands. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photographs.

I was exploring the area near the former location of the Sermons Of Science pavilion last June.I took this picture and I'm 99.9% sure this is what's left of Ulysses Street that passed behind the pavilion,(number 473 on the thumbnail).

icptap.jpg

Nars: This is an interesting photo. I still have to upload demolition pictures I have, but I did think that the Olympic rowing basin went over the full extent of the SFS pavilion (and others), including Ulysses Street, but I could certainly be wrong. I will have to take a closer look and post what I find. Thanks.

"I did think that the Olympic rowing basin went over the full extent of the SFS pavilion (and others), including Ulysses Street"

You're right,Beeceemark.I was in the field and my picture doesn't show Ulysses Street a all.

I came to this conclusion by comparing two images,a portion of an Expo 67 map and an areal view of approximately the same area today:

2zyj6ew.jpg

The X is where I wrongly believed to be remnants of Ulysses Street

It looks as if Ulysses would run exactly parallel to Tostoi bridge. While it looks close, I would think Ulysses would be just under the water or more or less where the building to the left of the word "rowing" is. But that does beg the question what that road or path to nowhere is or possibly was in 1967. Any thoughts?

I have added five more photos today. They are as follows:

1. Steel Pavilion and area under construction

2. Great Britain Pavilion and area under construction

3. Sermons From Science Quiet Winter Scene

4. Venezuela Pavilion Getting Ready for 1969

5. Man and His World Electronic Billboard Sign

All the originals are black and white, in case you are wondering why they are not colour.

Cheers,

Mark

July 17 1.pdf

July 17 2.pdf

July 17 3.pdf

July 17 4.pdf

July 17 5.pdf

"So the 'X' would be at about position 471 on the 1967 map?"

Yes,which would mean facing the north side of the Burma pavilion.So,it might be remnants of Tolstoi Street instead of Ulysses Street,although the angle seems a little bit off to me.On the other hand,one has to remember that Tolstoi Street was much wider than what my photo is showing,as we can see on this picture taken from the edge of Tolstoi bridge:

2ltoo3m.jpg

Yes, that area is likely, but the angle is way off. The concrete might have poured way after Expo, when they first constructed the race track-- for TV platforms or a grandstand or something. The angle seems to be parallel to the race track.