Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

What groundbreaking was held on August 3, 1961?

Here's a shot of a groundbreaking ceremony held on August 3, 1961.

992-days.jpg

I don't have any booklets for ceremonies on that date. I see the NY Times has an article dated the next day but I'm not a subscriber. Anyone know what they were all there for?

Found it on another site.

It was the burial of the Flushing River to form the Pool of Industry and make the land it ran through available for the Fair.

Is that Robert Moses left of center facing the camera? As it turned out, they didn't really need the additional acreage.

Yes, that was Moses.

I think the section they were burying included land near the GE pavilion. I think that was still a river between fairs. Here's how it looked in 1960:

building03.jpg

I take it that the bridge at far left is the legacy that still exists, and the other two (symmetrically left and right of pool) were demolished?

Interesting that the flag shown is the pre-Unisphere one (or early Unisphere one).  I wonder how many of these type of flags were made?  I wish one would show up on eBay. 

10 minutes ago, sunguar said:

Interesting that the flag shown is the pre-Unisphere one (or early Unisphere one).  I wonder how many of these type of flags were made?  I wish one would show up on eBay. 

Maybe we could get a flag company to make us some!

22 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Maybe we could get a flag company to make us some!

As Churchill once said, "At what cost?"

I think very few people (and I do mean very few) would have any idea of what it represents.  Now that my local grocery store had banned plastic bags, I now bring my reusable cloth ones with a big Unisphere on it (the retro art one with the red background).  You'd be surprised how many people have no clue as to what it is.

I have a full size NYWF flag and nobody who sees it knows what it is.  The most popular guess is that it has something to do with the UN.

I’m certain there are flag companies that would design a specialty flag but that may require a significant number of flags be made for it to be cost effective.  I would also bet that very few of those first attempt at a 1964-65 flag were made.  In the end, the Fair settled on a design and colors almost identical to the 1939 official flag.

PS:  The aerial view shows just how much of the 1939 acreage was not used in 1964.  Everything above what had been the Lagoon of Nations and what was the Court of Peace, the Federal Building and a host of international pavilions was not used during the second Fair.

11 hours ago, Jim said:

PS:  The aerial view shows just how much of the 1939 acreage was not used in 1964.  Everything above what had been the Lagoon of Nations and what was the Court of Peace, the Federal Building and a host of international pavilions was not used during the second Fair.

Indeed. There is some footage of Moses saying you could fit the '39 fair in a '64 parking lot - I don't think so. 1939 was much bigger at 1,600 acres compared to just 664.... In the image Bill showed, you can still make out the Budd display from 1939. Wish the b/w photo was higher resolution. What was the tallest thing at 1964? Anything coming in at 150" or so as in 1939?

Eric

New York State Pavilion upper tower, 226 feet.