Bill Cotter

A different angle on Hawaii #2

hawaii-pineapples-2.jpg

October 10, 1964

Here's another one of those shots you find with offbeat details. We now know the Rotary Club met at the Hawaii pavilion at noon on October 10, 1964. And that the feet massagers cost 10 cents for 60 seconds. Yeah, it's silly stuff but it is interesting to see new views of things.

I wonder if the Rotary Club members had to pay for admission to the fair for their meeting?

Don't know why, but I like that shot! Bill, you must be so happy to see these offbeat angles!! I agree, it must have been the pineapple plants that interested the photographer.

I can't quite read the "KEEP OUT" sign. It says "Ground Electronically _______." Can anyone make out the last word?

Thanks Bill. So I guess it was to help the tropical plants survive the cooler weather of NYC and not to electrocute fairgoers who dared step over the fence.

Were they actually able to grow pineapples in Flushing Meadow?

I should say so! In fact, the pineapples look so perfect in this photo, it kinda of makes me wonder...notice the best ones seem to be near the front edge...

027_-_Pineapples_growing_at_Hawaii_Pavil

© Bill Cotter, Set 30, Picture 027

And here's the answer:

DO NOT PICK FRUIT OR EAT

THIS FRUIT TREATED

FOR DISPLAY ONLY

026_-_Pineapples_growing_at_Hawaii_Pavil

© Bill Cotter, Set 30, Picture 026

So what do you think they did- fly in pineapples every day and stick them on top of each bush?

Bunch of cheaters! LOL :D