Hard to believe this is less than ten years after the great Quake of 1906

Not only did the the City rebuild, but just look at the Fair it created. It is spectacular. Long ago, I visited the Exploratorium and there was a huge panorama photograph of the exposition which, of course, had existed just outside the doors and well beyond. I would bet that thousands who visited that original Exploratorium site did not realize what once existed and how magnificent it was. I believe that entire fair was built on landfill from the debris of structures destroyed by the 1906 earthquake. What an incredible accomplishment that fair was.

I was told it was indeed built on landfill, but landfill that was dredged up from the bottom of the bay.

That's why in the 1989 earthquake, the area (now known as the Marina district) experienced 'liquifaction' and many buildings collapsed. The ground basically turned into a jelly-like substance similar to quicksand. That's because the soil was loose and sandy.

If they *had* mixed it with debris from the 1906 earthquake, it just might have given it enough substance to reduce the likelihood of future liquifaction.

According to Wikipedia, and for whatever that is worth, the landfill was a mixture of earthquake debris first dumped there and then sand from the bay on top of that when it was determined there would be a fair and that would be the location,