#16 MitchS

MitchS

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 01:57 AM

Bag o'Dinos w/ booklet
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=555942422" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/...m=555942422</a>

$102.50

#17 Elizabeth Klug

Elizabeth Klug

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 02:48 AM

Were these even given out at the Fair, or at gas stations with a fill-up?

#18 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 09:06 AM

That particular set perplexed me. Normally, Sinclair stations gave you the pack with the small (about 1" long) dinos. This set looked to have the larger dinos in it. What gives?

#19 Park Bench

Park Bench

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 10:23 AM

Mike-
Seller did state that the bag was resealed with new staple.
-Benchosaurus

#20 Bill Young

Bill Young

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 12:16 AM

Thought I'd resurect this topic. Took me a while to find it!

Got an email this weekend from a fellow named Jim Irwin. Here's his email:

Hello Bill,

My name is Jim Irwin and I own and operate Replication Devices, Inc. in Tampa Florida <a href="http://www.replicationdevices.com" target="_blank">www.replicationdevices.com</a> . My company has many of the original Mold-A-Rama machines that were introduced at the New York Worlds Fair and I have a large number of the molds that were used there as well. I was hoping you might have information on the machines that were at the fair such as where they were placed in the fair grounds, what molds were used, and what the price was that the patrons were charged. I have been in this business for thirty some years and am
gathering as much info as I can so I can place a history section on my web site.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jim Irwin, President
Replication Devices, Inc.

Do any of you have recollections on the mold-a-rama machines as they appreared at the Fair. I'm sending Jim to this page because I think he might find your original comments about the aroma of the waxy-plastic dinos and toys of the 60s. You can send your comments directly to Jim at mailto:repdev@tampabay.rr.com or you can post them here and I'll ask Jime to bookmark and watch this page for a while to see what turns up.

This topic had quite a few posts to it. Seems everyone remembers these toys and remembers them from the Fair. I think any details you can come up with about the machines at the Fair would be helpful to Mr. Irwin.

[This message has been edited by Bill Young (edited 06-24-2002).]

#21 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

In case anyone was still wondering where you could get a Unisphere made:

Posted Image

I know there were some shots of the souvenir shop before but I'm not sure if they're still online, so here's one more to be sure.

#22 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

The Unisphere is one of the hardest-to-find moldaramas from the NYWF.

But the rarest of all is the Vatican Pavilion. I was lucky to find one a few years ago, but haven't seen one since. The machine *is* mentioned in the official Vatican Pavilion guidebook.

#23 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

I don't think I've seen a Vatican Mold-A-Rama. Got a picture handy, Randy?

Here's the shot I was thinking of the souvenir stand. You can see the machines just above the Billy Graham Pavilion sign. The Unisphere Mold-A-Rama sign doesn't appear to be there.

Posted Image

#24 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

I don't think I've seen a Vatican Mold-A-Rama. Got a picture handy, Randy?

Attached File  Molderama_figure.jpg   13.05KB   66 downloads

#25 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

No wonder it's rare. I imagine most Mold-A-Rama customers were kids, and how could he Vatican hope to compete with a T-Rex?

#26 Rose

Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

It's a wee bit off topic but:

Recently a friend and I indulged in the joys of mold a rama goodness. This at the Central Florida Zoo. A place with several mold a rama machines. As a nostalgic soul, fair fan, and lover of instant toys made of hot wax: I couldn't pass up purchasing a few small, plastic, animals. It seemed to me with those purchases, and those I've made at the Henry Ford in MI: that the current plastic used in the machines produces a much thinner shell. Something, I've learned, crumbles very easily.

The fair dino's (of which, like many of you, I have a few) seem of thicker stuff and seem more durable.

Is this my imagination? Has the years of dust on my fair dino's somehow accumulated so thick as to make a thicker shell?

Simply wondering as to differences between today's mold a rama models and yesterdays (including those of the fair)

...and, Randy that Vatican mold a rama is extraordinary. Although, like any child, I'd have gravitated to dinosaurs, the catholic school child in me might have thought a tiny vatican pavilion a worthy souvenir. (and it's remarkable my grandmother didn't think in the same way. She, brought home a candle shaped like the Pieta.)

#27 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

You're not imagining things Rose. The current owner of the company (now located in Tampa) confirms that several years ago there was a major change in the material formulation. Not only does it result in a different product (with the result somewhat "shinier" than the old formulation even when produced by the same mold), but those with keen noses say it also doesn't smell the same when coming out of the machine "hot". That smell is quite possibly the number one aroma memory for kids who visited the '64-65 NYWF, just as powerful as the Small World tune being the #1 audio memory. That smell is gone forever it would seem.

By the way, last time we crossed paths a few years back, you and your sister were thinking about relocating to Florida if I remember right. You now mentioned Central Florida- are you living down there? I ask because there are rumors of a mid-Florida PTU get-together in the not-too-distant future. Ray has relocated from California to Tampa and there are quite a few other regulars spread across the middle of the state from Sarasota to Orlando. If you're down there, we sure wouldn't want you to be left out!

#28 Rose

Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

You're not imagining things Rose. The current owner of the company (now located in Tampa) confirms that several years ago there was a major change in the material formulation. Not only does it result in a different product (with the result somewhat "shinier" than the old formulation even when produced by the same mold), but those with keen noses say it also doesn't smell the same when coming out of the machine "hot". That smell is quite possibly the number one aroma memory for kids who visited the '64-65 NYWF, just as powerful as the Small World tune being the #1 audio memory. That smell is gone forever it would seem.

By the way, last time we crossed paths a few years back, you and your sister were thinking about relocating to Florida if I remember right. You now mentioned Central Florida- are you living down there? I ask because there are rumors of a mid-Florida PTU get-together in the not-too-distant future. Ray has relocated from California to Tampa and there are quite a few other regulars spread across the middle of the state from Sarasota to Orlando. If you're down there, we sure wouldn't want you to be left out!

Holy Moley!! A Worlds Fair get together that I might actually be able to get to? I'm in!

Yes, my sister and I did, eventually, re locate to Florida. She, after a short stay, decided to move back to MI, but I remain in the land of sunshine and giant rodents. I'd, most certainly, if it is at all possible, be interested in a SIP (maybe a theme P, if anyone is thinking that way) or other such get together.

...and in regard to the mold a rama...it is shinny-er. It's also incredibly brittle. After posting, here, last night; I saw a reference that Marc made to his Henry Ford mold a rama plunder. His waxy goodness crumbling over a season. I wouldn't blame the cold for that...it's as if the toys molecularity is that of a stack of cards in a strong breeze. The mold a rama toys are, now, doomed to fall apart at any second.

There is some smell...but not that heavy scent that is reminiscent of melted crayon. I had actually sniffed the toys...a foolish thing, one that I truly had to explain to my companion...but the scent, was, a part of it all. After putting in the quarters; I anticipated one scent of childhood. It, isn't, there, anymore.

Mold a ramas are still wonderfully nostalgic looking. They evoke a nostalgic feeling from me. I'll always put in a few quarters and be happy with the result...but like so many things, the experience with them has changed.

Thank you so much for responding!

#29 xl5er

xl5er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Like the "sizzle" sold steak, the smell sold moldarama dinos.

My mother's nursing home activities with aromatherapies codified my own experience, and I know I'm not alone, with memory explosions triggered by the whiff of an old baseball glove, chlorinated pool water or mimeograph paper.

To add insult to injury I bet the change came about by some earnest technician's attempts to "improve" the product by getting rid of that pervasive smell lest they be sued by imagined "toxic -shock syndrome" victims inhaling the plastic second-hand.

I don't know how popular these machines are today, but I would wager that without the aroma, they will not implant the kind of life-long memories we are familiar with, and that the change in formula will share a place in the Hall of Shame with New Coke's.

#30 xl5er

xl5er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Went to Miami Metrozoo for the first time yesterday and found a blast from the past.
Attached File  IMG_3676.jpg   155.41KB   43 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users