bobster1985

Aerial photo of park in the 1970s.

This aerial photo was in my 1977 Queens College yearbook. It shows all of the buildings that were left over from the Fair. It appears that the colored tiles are still in place at the NY State Pavilion, which would probably date this photo from the early 1970s. The Federal building was demolished in 1977.

post-3804-0-47585100-1368581665_thumb.jp

Nice picture. The trees still look fairly small. (well, EVERYTHING looks small from an airplane.. LOL )

Was there ever ANYTHING done in the Aquacade after 1965? A show, a concert, public swimming.. anything at all? In the late 60's, the concert promoters seemed to like the Singer Bowl instead.

In a sense, the place looks ok and almost fresh. But I remember going there in the 1970's and from ground level, this was not really true. By then the place was entering a long period of neglect.

I used to go there in the early 70s with friends from Jackson Heights where we all lived. We took the 7 train with our bottle of screwdriver bought from someone we asked before they went into the liquer store. The park was a mess. Garbage and papers blowing around. A real seedy area after hours. Drunks sleeping on benches, beggers asking for money, and it got worse as the night wore on. We got tired of going there as it was uncomfortable to relax,you always felt someone watching you and there were no cops around. The park sunk into the dark abyss of total neglect. I didn't go back until the early 90s and was surprised to find it cleaner but still in the same shape. Seem to remember a chainlink fence around the Unisphere.