Bill Cotter

The park in 1970

I`ve been to the park hundreds of times since the fair and there are always lots of people.These pictures seem to show the park so colorless and barren.

• Like 1

It looks like it might have been a cold day, so that might have something to do with it. I do remember the place being pretty empty on a visit in 1971 or 1972. I think a lot of the sports fields may not have been in place - this was back when the city was pretty strapped for funds so the park may not have been fully operational.

Used to fly kites at the Ford Pavilion site. It was pretty barren then. There was more action at the Amusement end. They rented surrey cycles there and my friends and I rode through the empty park with memories of the Fair still fresh.

I remember when the glass windows went to the bottom of the Terrace on the Park and were constantly being broken as in the pic above. There is no longer glass that low.

I remember when the glass windows went to the bottom of the Terrace on the Park and were constantly being broken as in the pic above. There is no longer glass that low.

I never realized that. What replaced the glass?

Would the difference be obvious in comparison then-and-now photos?

Nice view of the Africa Pavilion. And I think it's 1965, since there's a roof over the dance area.

The picture's not quite scanned in enough resolution to make out whether there's a dance demonstration underway under that roof- but maybe...looks like some kind of crowd there.

I touched up the pic. The picture you see was taken with the original pic on my windowsill using my phone cam. The original is clear and there appears to be a crowd under the tent.

post-5540-0-46390400-1366717867_thumb.jp

I never realized that. What replaced the glass?

Would the difference be obvious in comparison then-and-now photos?

It was just plywood for a long time painted brown. I think now it might be sheetmetal over the wood.

This is how I remember the park when I was little.

Thanks for posting the pictures!