landlocked54

The Vault III CD-ROM

Last evening I dug out my copy of Ray Dashner's "The Vault III" CD-ROM only to find that some of the files are corrupted and will not play. Since Ray recently passed away, who knows if you can still purchase these. My version is v2.08 and according to the advertisement on www.nywf64.com, the most recent version is v2.10. If any one has a copy of the most recent one that would be willing to burn me a copy, I'd be happy to send you a blank CD-R along with return postage. In a short email conversation with Bill Young today, he suggested I post my request here.

Ron Weekes

Ron, both Doug Seed and I tried working with Ray's family to see if there was a way to continue to make these files available. Unfortunately that didn't pan out. I'm not sure what version I have as my copy is packed away at the moment. I hope someone can help you out.

Regards

Bill

Bill, thanks for the quick reply. Too bad keeping the project alive didn't pan out. I'm sure someone will come to the recue. Hopefully over the weekend I'll be able to determine the specific issue with my CD-ROM. My guess is that there is additional material on v2.10 that I don't have on v2.08. Whatever it is is what I'd like to get my hands on.

Regards,

Ron

This prompted me to look at my copy - it's Vault III version 2.09. I tried to make a backup and it hung repeatedly. However, I identified the bad spot as the Futurama audio file, which I could copy from the Vault II that I have. I suggest that anyone who has these sitting around not trust them to last, and make a backup ASAP.

Sending a PM to Landlocked54.

I found out the problem with mine, at least I hope it is the only problem. There were some issues with the WinAmp folder at the end of the disc. Since it is an older version of WinAmp and I use a Mac/iTunes, I just made a new copy of the disc without WinAmp. I also noted that there are several files on my 2.08 disc that have .rmj (RealMedia) suffixes. To make the .rmj files more compatible with my Mac, I just changed the .rmj to .wav as a quick experiment. The .rmj files played perfectly.

I agree with waynebretl that we all make back up copies of our Vault discs. CD-Rs do not last forever...but vinyl does! ;-)

If anyone has issues with any of their files, I am more than willing to share what I have from my rescued Vault III v2.08 files. Just PM me. Would still like to know what additional files, if any, are on 2.09 and 2.10.

Sending a PM to waynebretl

Just did a quick check between my Vault III v2.08 disc and what Ray had listed on the website for v2.10. There are only two differences that I note:

• Addition of a 3:06 mp3 file called "The Postcard Pavillion" with Bob and Ray. I was able to find this at archive.org. The link to that page is http://archive.org/details/otr_bobandray. The specific file is numbere 222.
  • Addition of another mp3 file called POPE PAUL VI VISITS NEW YORK CITY 57:03 - THANKS TO BILL COTTER

Bill, any idea where I might be able to find the Pope Paul VI visit online to download it. My guess is that it must be in the public domain. Guess my first stop should be YouTube.

Ron

Good morning, Ron Weekes. I found my original copy of The Vault, and have a question for you. How can I find out what version it is? By the way, I just found a copy of the Vault III on eBay, and got it for $9.00 including shipping. Thank you.

Tom Berger

Everyone should know that for any files you want to save forever on disk, do the following things. Never mark them with a sharpie (unless labelled safe for disk media), never put an adhesive label on them, and replace them every 5 years. CDs and DVDs are not durable. the only durable format is the new M-Disk which has a 500 year lifespan. If you want a label, one can buy M-Drive compatible burners with the capability to burn a label on the front. I've seen disks ruined after just a month with an adhesive on them. The M-Disk uses a ceramic base instead of organic like most writable media.

Hello Everyone:

What is this discussion about?  I am unfamiliar with "The Vault"- is it some type of archived materials about the fair?  Please let me know. I am very intrigued, LOL!!!

Ronald

One of our great, but now sadly departed friends and members, Ray Dashner, roamed the fair with a portable tape recorder under his arm, documenting audio at the pavilions and special events. He transferred the recordings to mp3 files on CDrom as "The Vault" with subsequent editions II and III, and sold them on line. 

(It boggles the mind today that none of the pavilions threw him out for recording.)

Hi - just reviving this topic to remind those who have Ray Dashner's The Vault audio CD to refresh their backup copy. CDs are not guaranteed to last forever, although I find that my original still is OK at this late date. Why take a chance?

Bill, I assume that there is still no availability of the originals?

On 3/24/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bill Cotter said:

Let me see what I can scare up.

Me too. Gee, I haven't seen the tapes that Ray gave me in a long time, and I've lost quite a bit in my travels around the west (like my Jean Shepherd stuff}, but i think it may be in a box, and i was going to look through my old boxes anyway because some fool wants me to scan some cartoons from my old cartoon book (which is still on amazon after lo these many years!...but unfortunately the big crowded cartoon i drew of my experiences at the nywf is long gone).

If any of you (Bill, Larry) find anything from the vault, let me know if you wish to part with it (or copy).

Thanks.

I found it! Two cd's and the four page guide to The Vault III (Ver. 2.09).  Next step is to try and play it and hope it works and then copy it.

So far the tape sounds perfect.  I don't think I ever heard it before. Right now Ray Dashner is interviewing Bill Young in 2001...and now he's entering the fairgrounds.  Hey, I was there!  Maybe I'm on the tape...

Correction - I wasn't at the 2001 NYWF gathering, I was at the one in July 2003.  I have some photos of it.  But this is great. Is there a way I can upload the tapes on here?

Ray does interview many of the people who were there in '01.  They'd be especially interested in hearing it.

On 3/2/2017 at 5:11 PM, SpaceAgeGuy said:

Everyone should know that for any files you want to save forever on disk, do the following things. Never mark them with a sharpie (unless labelled safe for disk media), never put an adhesive label on them, and replace them every 5 years. CDs and DVDs are not durable. the only durable format is the new M-Disk which has a 500 year lifespan. If you want a label, one can buy M-Drive compatible burners with the capability to burn a label on the front. I've seen disks ruined after just a month with an adhesive on them. The M-Disk uses a ceramic base instead of organic like most writable media.

The Ray Dashner tapes I've been listening to now are about 18 years old, never played, have adhesive labels on them, and were in a metal storage bin in southern Arizona for years where the summer temperature must have been about 150F.  I guess it's unpredicatable how long they'll last. 

I saw at least one brand of M Disk advertising that it will last 1,000 years. I hate it when my CD's deteriorate after only 500 years.

Larry, when you write "tapes" do you really mean tapes, or Vault CDs? I thought Ray's tapes were being held by his sister, who won't give permission to release/re-record/post them.