gabriel3d

Moshe Safdie - Habitat 67

Mr. Safdie was only in his twenties when he designed Habitat. He has had an illustrious career. Is it correct that Habitat was initially designed to be much larger?

You"re right Jim, it was supposed to take the entire Cité du Havre but $$ - the initial design was different also, it was more like a pyramid. Here's the Habitat 67 document I made a few months ago. The texts are in french but it's fullly illustrated so you don't really need the text. By the way, there's a few dozens of never published photos I took of the construction, in 1966

Roger

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13503829/Fiche%20Habitat%2067_Final_WEB.pdf

Gabriel, that Habitat information is wonderful. There are some remarkable photographs. I had nevr seen such clear images of the interior of the apartments. Some of those shots showing the views of Expo and the Montreal skyline provide clear evidence why there is such a lengthy waiting list for potential renters. Has there ever been any serious consideration to building a second structure?

Jim

Even though you call me Gabriel, i'm still going to answer you Jim. <_<

No, the first section of Habitat was way too costly and it would not be cost effective to build the other section. There are new condos that were built beside Habitat several years ago but the style is completely different. In an interview, Safdie himself said that Habitat was a learning stage for him and for other "environmental" architect. The new cities, mostly the one's in Asia require a much more densified type of structure for the new megocities. Habitat was great for 1967 but not practical for 2013

Roger

By the way, most of the "interior photos" of Habitat in the document are not mine - they are official photos of the Canadian Gov.

Roger, I screwed up! I am sorry. But thank you VERY much for the information. And I will be more alert the next time, my friend!

Jim

My father's company operated a condo for the duration of the fair for its employees who visited Montreal. Many companies did this--again more of that VIP treatment, I guess.

But on my visit in 2008, while discussing the fair with staff at the Biosphere, they were eager to tell me that Safdie's place has been a sheer disaster in the recent decade or so. To begin with no one wants to live there any more due to an extraordinary

infestation of spiders. Apparently, it's been an obstacle to getting anyone to buy in or even want to stay there for more than a decade. No matter what has been done to try to eradicate them, they've taken over the entire structure, both inside apartments and outside. I'm serious! If anyone hears about an update, I'd be most curious to find out what was done to permanently get rid of them.

I think someone may be pulling your leg, Sheri. Or eight of them. I couldn't find anything on that rumor. The last I heard was that places in Habitat were actually quite expensive and that the complex was a prestigious address these days. Anyone else know anything about the spiders?

Never heard anything about spiders either. I know there were some structural issues that the condo association spent big bucks to correct and considering Habitat was an experiment for affordable urban housing, it may have failed on that note but no arachniphobia stories that I'm aware of.

Safdie old appartment at Habitat is now historicaly classifed and will be opened to the public. The original (1967) furniture is still there and the appartment is in very good condition. That spider thing is completely false. By the way, there's a waiting list to purchase a condo at Habitat

Who knows what to believe. I, too, never could verify the statements he made to me. I'm not the gullible type but why would a Biosphere guide invent such a story?

I am pleased to know that it may gain status as a locale for historic preservation. The kibbutz idea as adapted has been copied and most successful around the world.