Roger

People viewing at Expo

quite an eye for candid photography, indeed

They are wonderful shots. They could and should be in a gallery. Thank you so much for posting them.

PS: The second one is hilarious. It is a gem.

These are part of my own photos I took in 67 - much more will be posted in the future. Unfortunately, most of the slides developped a small amount of mold (I was sure, back then, that if I used slide mounts with glass that they would keep withtout damage - bad idea; that's how the mold got in there!). Its time consuming to clean the slide, then scan them and clean the scan since there is still a small amount of black spot left. But I will get them clean and they will be posted!

Roger

Roger, you took these photos? They are remarkable. You have a wonderful photographic sense. Please share more if you have them.

The US pavillon was my favorite as far as picture taking - I was able to work with natural light and it gave me a few good shot ( I hate flash!) - these one's are for you Jim:

TDH-PH-8403_web_zps65a667e8.jpg

TDH-PH-8947_web_zps8c68f630.jpg

TDH-PH-8839_web_zps366f4330.jpg

TDH-PH-9215_web_zpsed909f79.jpg

TDH-PH-8813_web_zps3bfaee0d.jpg

TDH-PH-8812_new_zps6c70fa91.jpg

TDH-PH-9213_web_zps5ea4e8e1.jpg

And that last one is my own take on the Venezuela pavillon

TDH-PH-9098_web_zpse013d393.jpg

Roger

They are all incredibly beautiful but that last one of the boy running along the yellow wall of the Venezuela pavilion really touches me. It is so artistically simple and stunning. I want to add that I some of the shots of the interior of the US pavilion with the Montreal skyline in the background are astounding. I also really like that last photograph with the people entering below the photo of President Johnson. It really takes me back to that time period. Many, many thanks, Roger.

Are those Andy Warhol prints in the U.S. Pavilion? (the positive and negative facial portraits in various colors). If so, it's interesting that he got "another shot" at a World's Fair project... :)

These are stunning. The photo of the child running with the yellow wall of the Venezuela Pavilion is truly a work of art. Can't wait to see more.

Yes Randy, It's a Warhol! It was specialy commissioned for the US pavillon. It was part of the "American Painting Now Exhibition" - 23 (most of them Pop Art ) artists exhibited their work in the exhibition and it toured the US afterward. That Warhol is now part of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art collection. The name of the print is "Set of Six Self Portraits"

Roger

3 more for now :

taken at the outdoor theatre of the Canadian pavilion

TDH-PH-9200_web_zpsd0e97041.jpg

I especially like the pant suit in this one - 1967 was a weird year for fashion! (the miniskirt came out that year also) :

TDH-PH-9231_web_zps70c2bdac.jpg

Ontario pavilion :

TDH-PH-8706_web_zps8b0f2fd9.jpg

Roger

The fountain (La Giboulee/Sudden Shower) is still there. Here is a before and after pic of it, taken from almost exactly the same spot. Notice the expo lights in the background are still there today and the trees have grown.

And if you would like to see a 360 degree view all around, how it looks today, check the 39 image photo-synth.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=aa2e36fb-860e-48ef-b4f4-ea3654cafe21&m=false&i=0:0:34&c=-0.46598:2.0834:0.00852765&z=469.190051332616&d=0.262916409618925:-2.28254518830891:-2.37832732255843&p=0:0&t=False

860846_10151300668462233_1861875464_o.jp

These are not only well composed, but the exposure looks spot-on too. What kind of gear were you using?

I had a Pentax Spotmatic - basic camera but one of the first to have a built in light meter that was affordable. My lens were a 28mm and a 135mm (I sometime borrowed lens from my school photo club). I mostly shot Kodachrome 25 (ektachrome 160 when lighting was bad). I do small ajustment when I scan the slide. SInce it's Kodachrome, they are often a bit too saturated. But considering that I was still learning photography back then (I was 13 then) I'm still surprised today by what I was able to do in 67. I can only imagine what the result would have been with the digital equipment I 'm using today!

Roger

PS : thanks for your comments, by the way!

A 28 and a 135, and no midrange - sounds like a way to force consideration of composition, and "zooming with your feet." I repeat, these are wonderful - to have such an eye at 13, wow.

I know very little about cameras but I know a beautiful, thought provoking photograph when I see one and I see lots of them here.