Sign in to follow this  
gary h

1939 NYWF Bar in Bethel, NY

Hi, it took me a couple of years, but I heard that a new local restaurant had a bar from the 1939 NYWF and on Friday night I finally got there. The place is called the Dancing Cat Saloon (www.dancingcatsaloon.com) and is located right across the street from the entrance to Bethel Woods Performing Arts Center, which is the site of the original Woodstock Festival. (Doug Seed and I went to the 40th Anniversary Concert there back in 2009!)

I had figured the bar was from the establishment at 8th and (I think) 46th street whose building was torn down a few years ago. But no! I got the history from Stacy, co-owner of Dancing Cat, who said the bar had been at the nearby Jeffersonville Hotel for decades. About 20 years or so ago, the main building burned and they tore down the rest ā€“ but a local carpenter took the bar apart, numbered each piece, and put it in storage. A couple of years ago, when the Dancing Cat was being constructed, they bought the bar and had the guy reconstruct it.

Stacy has been told the bar is from the Schaefer Pavilion. (Looking for pictures!)

Stacy also has become an avid collector of 39 Fair memorabilia and brought some over from her house to show me ā€“ saw some paper ephemera Iā€™d never seen before!

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the bar. It is actually located behind the restaurant at the Catskill Distilling Company building, which is part of their operation.

post-63-0-25784200-1361630907_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-71204900-1361630982_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-62311200-1361630833_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-96355600-1361631301_thumb.jpg

Next pic, you can see me in the mirror:

post-63-0-15343600-1361631071_thumb.jpg

Also, I have included a picture of the bar from the Main Restaurant, which has a bar taken from New Haven ā€“ this bar came from a place that was a gathering spot for Yale students and profs. In front of the bar is a neat floor to ceiling sculpture, done by a local artist, of musical and dancing cats.

post-63-0-50413200-1361631377_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

Looks impressive. No matter where it came from I'm glad it was salvaged and is in such good condition.

I'll say! That is a fine drinking accessory. And no people other than a young woman bartender! A perfect bar.