Bill Cotter

A different angle on Johnson Wax

That's a beautiful shot. Wonder if it was made with a tripod and long exposure. Most of the night scenes we see are underexposed for the shadows and/or just too contrasty for the film available at the time. One of the movies about the fair shows those boxy signs, but you see little or none of the artful pavilion lighting.

It couldn't have been a very long exposure - the people walking by aren't streaked. This one took a bit of tweaking but was better than most night shots.

It couldn't have been a very long exposure - the people walking by aren't streaked. This one took a bit of tweaking but was better than most night shots.

Ok, I see now. However, I've taken some long exposure night shots where some people were moving just a bit and looked like that, while others walking at a normal pace very nearly disappeared.

Besides displays about the company's products there was an award-winning film "To Be Alive!". It was one of the big hits of the Fair and is still shown today at their corporate headquarters.

If you're wondering about that sign that says Tri-Arc 335.... this is what Johnson said about it at the time:

"To Be Alive!" is shown on three slightly separated screens, each of which is 18 feet wide, sometimes for a panoramic image, sometimes for a single image in triplicate, sometimes three different images (as below), so that the eye absorbs each and the mind blends the varied impressions. The process is called Tri-Arc 335. Through the use of three screens and three projectors, screen film techniques in creating what critics have called a dramatic new motion picture concept filled with thrilling and intimate experiences.

The film, "To Be Alive," was shown again in 1967 at the United Nations pavilion at Expo 67 in Montreal.

Besides displays about the company's products there was an award-winning film "To Be Alive!". It was one of the big hits of the Fair and is still shown today at their corporate headquarters.

Search "Racine" for several threads related to the Golden Rondelle today.

The restoration of the movie shown there is via three high definition video projectors and is spectacular.

A few weeks ago I asked my uncle, during a family get-together,

"So tell me about the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, what do you remember? What was it like?"

And his answer, after a long thoughtful pause, was:

"Well, there was this pavilion that had this excellent film, a company you would never expect--Johnson Wax--the film was called "To Be Alive" and I remember I loved it and it was my favorite thing about the fair".

Of all the different things at the fair, this was his primary memory. I wish we could watch it on You Tube.

Another beautiful nighttime shot.  And yes, "To Be Alive" was a wonderful film.