4 replies to this topic

#1 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

It's interesting to see a mayoral candidate in New York talking about that city hosting a world's fair again, but 2014 is WAY too soon, but it would be great to see another city interested in 2022 or 2025.

http://nymag.com/dai...ir-in-2014.html

Typically, in articles like these, comments run along typical lines. There are usually two points people try to make:

1. World's fairs don't happen anymore (or "They still have world's fairs?")

2. We don't need world's fairs anymore because we know all about other countries.

In working out my usual "talking points" about why we need world's fairs, it occurs to me that those two sentiments negate each other. Clearly, Americans don't REALLY know what's going on in the rest of the world, at least not in countries that we aren't at war with.

View the full article

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,829 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

I read that and had to smile about his thinking they could put anything together for 2014. If he's so misguided on just that issue of the Fair I would have to question his overall candidacy.

Yes, I would LOVE to see a Fair happen again, but there simply is no time to build it by 2014. Zero. None.

I'd like to think he was misquoted.

#3 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Urso, you forgot the standard "we don't need world's fairs because of the internet."

#4 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Expoboy: Good point!

I keep finding myself developing certain talking points in response to a lot of things people say.

When folks tell me the internet has replaced the need for world's fairs, I ask how a child would react to being told that, instead of going to Walt Disney World, the family was going to visit the web site itself.

People forget that world's fairs are immersive, social environments.

• worldsfairent likes this

#5 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

So true Urso.  Seeing, touching, smelling, tasting and feeling is something the internet cannot duplicate.  Yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users