14 replies to this topic

#1 JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

In today's Daily News there's an article on page 8 about Republican John Catsimatidis who lanuched his Mayor campaign by suggesting a worlds Fair be held in FMCP in time for the 50th anniversary of the 64 fair. What a dream that would be, and imagine if we all had some input with a planning board.

#2 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I am not particularly familiar with this candidate but if he is even remotely serious about NYC having a world's fair in 2014, just a year from now, it is safe to say that this person has no idea what a world's fair is.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

PS:  I tried  search for NY World's Fair 2014 and, instead, I found an August 16, 1964 article by Isaac Asimov entitled "Visit To the World's Fair of 2014." 

http://www.nytimes.c...asi-v-fair.html

#4 JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Jim, his idea is great. But his time frame is off the charts.

#5 Elizabeth Klug

Elizabeth Klug

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

In this economy?? People don't have money to go to the movies or out to dinner, let alone go to a World's Fair!

#6 SWCphotography

SWCphotography

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Holy Toledo Johnny we'd better get crackin' on that NYSP paint job or we may not be ready on time!

(I know you've already got the carpet cleaning covered)

#7 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Johnny, I agree.  One year out from any exposition's opening date would mean the place would already be a sea of construction and organizational plans, funding, ticket sales etc. would be firmly in place.  Unless this guy has visions of lots of tents, tattoo vendors, piglet racing and deep fried everything restaurants, he has no clue.  Having said this, I went to the NYS Fair last August and there was actually a place that sold deep fried butter sprinkled with sugar. With any luck, he might be available for the 2014 NYWF.

#8 EDDIE1957

EDDIE1957

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

Last week i was watching a soccer game and a fair broke out!

#9 JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's funny I was there today and i was talking to the super from Turner constructin, he said the steel work on the GM Pavillion would be finished by next Wed. I will be doing the interior framing.

#10 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Jim, I hope you got an authentic Belgian Waffle at the state Fair in Syracuse?  In the Agriculture Building near the butter sculpture. Wasn't it the Vermesh family that had the booth there for the last 40 years? I know it was sold to the fellow in the yellow shirt in my photo just before 2005 when my wife and I drove there for a WF waffle.

Attached File  Waffle-Syracuse.jpg   30.14KB   19 downloads

Here's the waffle kid from the April 1965 National Geographic article Attached File  waffle.jpg   42.99KB   15 downloads

They seemed a little bigger at the World's Fair than in my 2005 Syracuse photo.

#11 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi Doug,

I just found your post.  Yes, I think I always make it a point to stop in the Dairy Building at the NYS Fair and get a Belgian Waffle.  The sign indicating that it is the original from the NYWF is still there and the place is always crowded.  If you ever get back this way and want to hit the state fair, let me know.  It would be fun to meet.  One other thought:  The NYS Fair does not have any significant world's fair legacies and I am not sure why.  However, it has several small ones.  There is an agricultural museum on the grounds that is actually open much of the year.  In any event, they have several metal pedestals that are used for the satin ropes used to keep people a distance from exhibits.  The base of each has the legend, "1939 New York World's Fair" and an image of the Trylon and Perishpere.  I like to stop by and check to be sure they are still there.

Jim

#12 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

An update on this topic at http://www.crainsnew...OGS04/130229983

Republican grocery magnate and mayoral candidate John Catsimatidis
continues to talk up the idea of holding another World's Fair in New
York City if he wins in November—and having Mayor Michael Bloomberg run
it. "We're looking for someone that will bring some gravitas to it—a Robert Moses
type," said Mr. Catsimatidis following a press event on Wednesday.
"I've said that one of the people we'd be interested in is Mayor
Bloomberg." Mr. Catsimatidis noted, for instance, that Mr. Bloomberg
would have the necessary fundraising connections and would need a new
project when his term expires. Of course, the 1964 World's Fair didn't
exactly go swimmingly for Mr. Moses, the former city parks commissioner,
when it was last held in New York City. As detailed at length in the
Moses biography "The Power Broker," the fair ended in financial failure
amid allegations of fiscal mismanagement, at a considerable toll to Mr.
Moses' legacy. As for his own proposed fair, Mr. Catsimatidis said its
theme would be "New York in the 21st century." There is no organized
effort to have another World's Fair, nor has Mr. Bloomberg expressed any
interest in organizing such an event.

My opinion is that it is 100+% impossible to hold a world's fair next year. Make that 1000+%.

#13 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,431 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm not sure I'd want to go to a World's Fair with Bloomberg in charge, whether it be 2014, 2024, or 2034. No big drinks on a hot New York summer day. Every single menu item has to conform to his own healthy diet guidelines. Probably no belgian waffles at ALL. Heaven help the restaurant in a France Pavilion. He's bought into the concept that everybody are idiots, are incapable of making decisions for themselves, therefore government (and presumably a World's Fair administration) has to run our lives for us. I vote 'no way'. If that's our World of Tomorrow, it's a nightmare.

#14 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Amen

#15 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I recall that many people made the same sort of comments when it became known that Robert Moses would be the 1964 NYWF president.  By then, he had made a lifetime of enemies and many critics slammed the fair he created because they believed it lacked much of the vitality, creativity and vision of its predecessor.  I have no idea what sort of job Mr. Bloomberg might do in a similar position but he is already light years ahead of Robert Moses simply by ignoring all such silly speculation.  He evidently recognizes NYC has far more to deal with than even thinking about dumping money into a brainless proposal such as this.  And he understands that New York State remains in a precarious financial situation.  The current mayor appears to have other goals and initiatives he wishes to follow and they do not include paying attention to this mayoral candidate who has no clue what a world's fair is much less what is needed to make one happen.

I have a better chance of having  a world's fair in my back yard than that candidate has of creating one for NYC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users