AfterTheFair

Most unusual souvenirs from the fair?

Hi Everyone...

It's been a quite a bit since I chimed in here on the boards.. I'm working on a portion of the voiceover for our WF doc, and we're talking about the wide array of souvenirs available at the fair (or with world's fair branding). I thought I'd throw it out to the group: what are/were the most unusual souvenirs from the fair? Bonus points for pictures of them that we can use in the movie!

A locker swallowed my quarter - a lot of money to a 12-year-old in 1964. I sent a complaint to American Locker Co. and they sent me a refund in a folder. So, now I still have my silver 1964 quarter but haven't thought about that jacket for 49 years. The folder still has my horrible penmanship note on it, commemorating this to be my "Quarter that I lost at the World's Fair".

My coolest is my watercolor painting done by the General Motors designers as a conceptual for the GM Futurama Ride. The best part is that they actually built that scene into the diorama.

There's a B&W photo of the exact scene but I can't find it right now.

post-86-0-00877400-1359592709_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-92027500-1359592761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think Randy Treadway spotted it on eBay several years ago and I bought it. It's a fun conversation piece in our livingroom. Sooner or later you notice somebody staring at it and wondering if they're seeing things. I just matter-of-factly reply "it's freight handling of the future, 1964 style".

I think there were six of the framed paintings available at the time - each one a different part of the Futurama display. I liked this one because of the helicopters, and the WF colors, of course. There's even a typed description stuck on the back. It's really a beautiful watercolor, way nicer and more detailed than the photo of it shows. Original 1962(?) frame and matte, too.

Ryan, I will sort through some stuff and see if I can find some odd things!

• Like 1