Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

More roadside America fun

I bet he was able to find his car in any lot.

wienermobile.jpg

Many years ago I parked my car next to a Wienermobile at the Albany, NY airport. When I came back a day or so later the place was covered in snow, making it hard to figure out which was your car under all the snow. It was easy for me, though, as the Wienermobile was still there. I've often wondered who would leave something like that parked at an airport...

One (of this vintage, I believe) is in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. A local PBS program that does Chicago interest stories had a segment on the Wienermobile. The original was smaller than this, and the current ones are much larger. They interviewed a driver of this vintage (who chauffered one of the "Little Oscars" around in it), who said they were not the most reliable, and it often broke down on the road. They also interviewed the sister of one of the Little Oscars, who lamented that she never got to ride in the Wienermobile. She said she couldn't understand at the time why so many people wanted to see him, after all he was just her brother. This particular Little Oscar was also the coroner in The Wizard of Oz, and one of the Lollipop Guild members was a Little Oscar also.

Current Wienermobiles are usually piloted by a duo of recent college graduates, called "Hotdoggers."

Can everyone find their Wiener Whistles?

Absolutely everything in that picture shouts 1960's. Certainly the Weiner Mobile; the hotel with its garish colors (Iincuding the draperies in the windows); the VW bug; the other automobiles of course and even the television antenna (which virtually everybody called an aeriel).

And for the record, what is an al meat weiner? Is there any other kind? What else is being stuffed into some of those nasty things? (I don't eat meat and have not for many years so I don't find the concept of a hotdog particularly appealing on any level.)

And for the record, what is an al meat weiner? Is there any other kind? What else is being stuffed into some of those nasty things? (I don't eat meat and have not for many years so I don't find the concept of a hotdog particularly appealing on any level.)

Well, it could have cereal filler if it wasn't all meat. But you may not care to know what parts of the "meat" are in there.

I have an idea. Did you ever see that episode of Frasier when Niles speaks to a fourth grade class and tells them what is in hotdogs? It is very funny (and probably true).

College students who drive Wienermobiles for Oscar Mayer are called "Hotdoggers." And as you might imagine-- they have their own blog.

Here's a link to the HotdoggerBlog, which has a lot of interior and exterior pictures of the classic kitsch car-- and also provides day by day info on where you might be able to see a Wienermobile yourself:

http://hotdoggerblog.com

Well if stranded, at least they won't starve.

And they can always whistle to alert rescuers.