e_seth

Unknown Mural and Artist, Maybe in a Country Pavilion? Anyone seen this?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if a mural was on display somewhere at the '39 WF. Some people think it might have been in one of the Latin American country pavilions, like Brazil, Argentina, Chile, or Cuba. I think it is more likely to have come from being used as a temporary mural/banner for one of the many "special event" days or weeks the fair had. Perhaps from Mardi Gras week?

This mural is over 40 feet long, so it definitely took up a lot of space and was visible. It's also painted on canvas. The artist signs his name "Ovidio 1939." Haven't been able to find the name "Ovidio," but it's probably the artist's first name.

I feel like I've hit the end of the road trying to find any image that even has this hanging in the background. Has anyone seen this mural before? I have a few more pix if anyone's interested.

Thanks.

post-5728-0-72976500-1358273197_thumb.jp

post-5728-0-57521100-1358273200_thumb.jp

Hello,

I don't recall ever seeing that before in any of my slides or prints. Bill? Maybe if you posted more of the image.

But my real question is why do you make any Fair connection?It looks a little odd to my eye. How is that paint applied and what medium? If oil it will be badly cracked. Is that a fold? This was not rolled? If you are rolling, be sure to roll the canvas (cotton or linen?) with the paint facing OUT or you will continually cause flaking and delamination. There were airbrushes in 1939 but some of this just looks odd. The signature and date appear correct for this period though.

Best wishes,

Eric

Hi All,

this mural will be on Treasure Detectives or whatever it is called. I am leaning toward genuine. I see no pretense; the form and handling, the signature all appear quite natural. I imagine a photo will be found in the NYPL? I will guess some very cheap type of paint, very extended oils, perhaps even low cost house paints, rather thin cotton substrate for the size...some sort of generic and thin ground layer. I recall the mural in the Communications Building, which was to be in special light reactive pigments, had to be rendered in plain black and white as material costs were cut etc.

Best wishes,

Eric

Any luck finding more about the artist? I have a painting by the same person from 1940.

Thank you!

T

Hello,

nothing here. There is a thread about a mural sold in Oceanside a while back. I was to go and appraise it and its condition, auctioneers not being known for accurate descriptions (speaking generally of course), but ultimately it wasn't wanted, against my advice and its superb NY related subject. I dunno - people want/pay for my advice - and then they don't follow it. It was a cert. Never heard if it sold.

magikbilly

post-6531-0-39579900-1426517073_thumb.jppost-6531-0-36794900-1426517083_thumb.jp

Thanks for the reply! We have a piece from the artist, which I'm attaching here. It's a great piece and I'd love to know more about the artist. It's amazing with all the resources of the Internet that this person can remain in relative obscurity on the web. Neat stuff.

Did anyone check about the other World's Fair in San Francisco?