36 replies to this topic

#31 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Mitch, I hope you are correct.  A question:  I know a good deal of effort has been put into painting the structure and it must be a remarkable labor love.  However, what are the most recent reports on the structural integrity of the building?  It is now fifty years old and other than coats of paint, it has been neglected for decades.  How much has the structure declined?  If there was a moment to push for restoration this would be it and it might be the last viable opportunity to do so.  Timing is everything and the pavilion is fifty years old (it was nearing completion by the end of 1963).   

• rainydaywoman67 likes this

#32 MitchS

MitchS

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I don't think its our business to know what agreement the theater has with Parks Dept. or NYC.  There is some sort of agreement and has been for years.  There are props, sets and equipment in the pavilion that date back to the 1970's.  It is likely that any theater worker is covered under the theaters insurance if they are conducting theater business.  More than half the pavilion interior space are all theater storage, practice rooms and a functioning workshop.

#33 MitchS

MitchS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Jim, I don't have the reports on hand about the structure's integrity. However, the reports over the years have been consistent in saying structurally the columns, crown and cables are sound, not in danger of collapse.  The wood pilings under the columns are down to 50% a few years ago which is enough to sustain them until they can be stabilized, there is a strong possibility there are steel pilings too. The mezzanine structure we are painting will be demolished when and if they find purpose for the building.  The footing have sunk in places and most may not be salvageable. Towers are sound with steel pilings. Cosmetically its a mess and the infrastructure trashed.

Anyone have copies of the recent reports?

#34 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Thanks, Mitch.  I am not surprised.  Finding a purpose for the structure would be wonderful but after almost fifty years of neglect, I don't see any salvation for the pavilion.  It was left standing with no purpose and it has declined into a ruin and other than Fair enthiusiasts it does not appear to have a noteworthy group of supporters-- either private citizens or public officials.  It took San Francisco fifty years to decide to permanently preserve the Palace of Fine Arts although that structure already had avid supporters and a spectacular location. 

I suspect one day we will wake up to a news story that a ssignificant portion of the structure has collapsed and that will be that.

#35 JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Let me first give my apology to Mike, I guess with all the hard work we put into the Pavillion I didn't see what he was really saying. I do have the latest report on the study of the Pavillion and Mitch is correct, the structure is in sound condition but there are pieces of concrete falling off the columns. It would be unsafe for the public to walk around, and the outer rooms are a complete disaster. We have found a mattress in one where a homeless person was sleeping ( remnants of the Fereal Pavillion) but with all that said we will be there this spring and start our scraping and painting of the interior walls and mezzanine band. I met with the new commissioner today and she gave full support to our cause. We also talked about ideas for the Fairs 50th anniversary. Will post to keep everyone up to date....Johnny
  • Elizabeth Klug, midnightrid3r, Stephanie Elisa and 1 other like this

#36 rainydaywoman67

rainydaywoman67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I think the fact that the NYSP is an unused, abandoned and neglected structure is what invites vandalism to the site. On many occassions I've seen people wandering around inside the Tent of Tomorrow fairly easily. If the NYSP was in Manhattan or Brooklyn, it would never have deteriorated to the condition it currently is in. I think that what's lacking in getting something accomplished with preserving and restoring the NYSP is not having a centralized group where enthusiasts of the fair or architecture, preservationists, and the community can gather toghether, get information and contribute what they can to not only preserve and restore the NYSP, but to turn it into what it was intended to be - a functioning public space. I've mentioned here and elsewhere that a good example of this is what was done to the New York High Line. With some vision, imagination and organization, the Friends of the Highline group was able to accomplish what at one time was considered the impossible. (see http://www.thehighli...f-the-high-line). Is there anyone here who would be interested in doing something similar for the NYSP? How can we get this going?

#37 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have never understood why the theatre has never embraced the pavilion restoration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users