Happy New Year from the Eiffel Tower-- still rising radiant and beautiful over Paris after 123 years! FYI-- La Tour is in the midst of a significant facelift. They are adding one of those touristâ thrilling glass floors to the first observation deck. Not exactly sure how I feel about that-- but if it keeps this Great Granddaddy of Wondrous World's Fair theme centers alive and thriving for another 123 years-- then I guess there's only one thing you can say. "C'est la vie!"

Yes, I was aware of the Trocadero's former World's Fair significance (and not just in 1937). Meanwhile, nice comparison, Randy. That area of skyscrapers is called La Defense-- an attempt to grow a new and modern Paris on the edge of all it's history. A fairly boring area-- though it does boast another very impressive arch called Arc La Defense, which is located on an exact parralel to the Arc d'Triomphe (which it dwarfs) and a third even smaller arch at the Louvre.

http://www.paris-architecture.info/pa014-Grande_arche_de_la_defense.jpg

A few more beauty shots of the Eiffel Tower from my last night in Paris, January 3, 2013. A rainy, foggy night-- simply snapped with my iPhone-- no filters of any kind. God bless Gustave Eiffel.

post-585-0-21211900-1357496662_thumb.jpg

It's interesting that for many years in the 20's and 30's they had a deal with the company Citroen, so that at night the Eiffel Tower spelled out Citroen. :) Can you imagine lights on the Statue of Liberty spelling out General Motors? LOL