Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Building Expo '67

Oddly, the most beautiful summers I ever spent were in NY's Champlain Valley about 90 minutes south of Montreal. The mountains and the lake breezes made for many crystal clear, humidity free summer days. I often think of those days. I do know that it can get humid in Montreal as it does in all northern cities, but nothing like the summers near DC when I lived there. That place is the threshold of hell.

I remember post cards with model photos like this. Was there an actual Expo model on display somewhere during the planning and construction years?

Expo 67's competition: New York World's Fair

As the building of Expo 67 was going on, there was a bit of apprehension about the NY 64 fair since it was so close to the 1967 date, close to Montreal and much bigger that was anticipated.

The CBC made a small video on that subject in 1963 – good views of the NY Fair :

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/society/celebrations/expo-67-montreal-welcomes-the-world/expos-competition.html

Roger

That was a great video. I enjoyed seeing the monorail model in action. They goofed on identifying GM as the Heliport, but otherwise it was pretty good indeed. Seeing the NYSP roof partially raised was interesting as well.

Now everyone will want to add an official "World's Fair Tree" to their collection!

This was the first time I'd heard of New York's projected attendance at 100 million. Most pre-fair estimates I've seen were 70 million.

That projected attendance surprised me as well. It is remarkable how different these two expositions really were. It is also remarkable to consider that between 1964 and 1980 along a 400 mile corridor from NYC to Montreal, there were two gigantic international expositions and two Olympic Games (summer and winter).

I loved the NYWF and for a long time thought it was a better event than Expo. In retrospect, however, I realize I learned much more at Expo and I understand how much better planned and operated it was. It captured a spirit that the NYWF could not. I also remember how impressed I was, as a kid, how the host city embraced Expo and how well treated we, as visitors, really were. That spirit and welcoming influence has brought me back to Montreal many times in the ensuing years.

I also attended Expo 67 and N.Y.W.F.64-65.I thought N.Y. was huge until I went to Expo.I think that was the difference between the two and why I too favored N.Y.Expo was scattered on the various Islands and it was hard to find any rhyme or reason to try and take in everything.I think N.Y.was more structured and contained more iconic pavillions like Ford,G.M. and Bell.N.Y. also had the Disney inspired pavillions like G.E. Illinois Ford and Pepsi.As a teenager I was more concerned with the rides and features than going to gain knowledge