Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Building Expo '67

We've been treated to some great views of Expo 67, including scenes of the demolition and how the site looks today. I thought I would turn the clock back a bit and look at some shots of Expo 67 before the gates opened.

Here's one of the Canada Pavilion and the Katimavik to get started.

construction-katimavik.jpg

When I look at my own photographs or old post cards or souvenir shots of Expo, I am now struck by how new and barren the land looks. When compared to the photograhs of those lush islands today, the site under construction and even when the exposition was in progress, it appears to be so devoid of plant life. The trees are tiny (with the exception of the central portion of Ile Ste. Helene). The embankments along the river are just rock. It was all so new.

Bill, just a minor correction on the first slide of the Canada Pavilion/Katamavik under construction. What resembles the Ontario Pavilion in the shot is actually the backside of the Canada Pavilion. The Ontario Pavilion would be to the right just outside of the photo.

When I look at my own photographs or old post cards or souvenir shots of Expo, I am now struck by how new and barren the land looks. When compared to the photograhs of those lush islands today, the site under construction and even when the exposition was in progress, it appears to be so devoid of plant life. The trees are tiny (with the exception of the central portion of Ile Ste. Helene). The embankments along the river are just rock. It was all so new.

I only visited the site in 1967 and 1968, so that sparse look is what I remember...the newer pictures of the park as it is today seem so strange to me!

The shot of the paviion of France is interesting. It is so spectacular it could be under construction right now--today. Then one sees the automobiles parked in front of the construction site and we are transported back 45 years. Amazing.

And don't forget that terrible ice storm in 1997. Without a doubt, the climate in northern New York and southern Quebec and Ontario is problematic. My observation was focused on my earlier observations. Expo and its islands look so new, so fresh in those photographs.

I also love that montage of images in the first photograph: the Katimavik, the USA geodesic dome, the Cosmos Bridge (I think that is correct) and in the far distance, the Gyrotron.

That's the Scout Center - was situated on Ste-Helene Island and was modified for Man and His World to become the Village of Yesteryear

Roger

Bill: "Oh, there was another model shot folks might find interesting."

Oh yeah,this model is much more interesting and I can tell it was located at the Quebec pavilion. :D

This model is probably in her sixties now,like this one:

2qlfxat.jpg

How about these models,can you identify in which pavilion they worked?

312bluv.jpg

21d3osg.jpg

2q828uv.jpg

nqwdx1.jpg

If you know the next one,it means you really know a lot about Expo 67:

pugir.jpg

If you can't identify the pavilion of the next hostess...

oseamw.jpg

wp7gw.jpg

And an easy one for the end:

2n6w942.jpg

That's the Scout Center - was situated on Ste-Helene Island and was modified for Man and His World to become the Village of Yesteryear

Roger

Thanks, Roger. I guess the multi-colored model threw me, as I knew the Scouts was one color, and I think smaller than what was shown here.

Some guesses

6 - Greece

7 - India

8 - India

9 - Israel

12 - Thailand

13 - US, based on the pavilion in the background, although the hostess shots I have for US are a completely different costume