• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I know this is a site dedicated to world's fairs, but is there a place for specific city expositions and fairs (I'm not talking about current things like the Ohio State Fair, but at least the larger, older ones)?  For instance, I'm from Cincinnati, and our town had numerous Industrial Expositions around the late-19th & early-20th c.  See here:

http://digitalprojec...ntactSheet.html

http://www.cincinnat...expositions.htm

Other people might not be interested in these types of expositions, but if there's a place for it on this site, please direct me.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Matt, we don't have a section directly for that, but I imagine a lot of people would be interested. The "Something For Everybody" category might be a spot to kick it off.

#3 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

There are a number of industrial or architecture expos that we've touched on from time to time. Venice, Italy, was talked about not too long ago. I think we had something on that Reichsausstellung Schaffendes Volk in Dusseldorf in 1937 didn't we, which Hitler created after he pulled Germany out of Brussels 1935? Remember the giant stone horses at the entrance, which didn't get finished when the Expo opened because the artist fell onto the Nazi's black sheep list. But later he got back in good graces, and finished them during the war?
And I think we've talked about the big Rail Exposition(s) in Chicago, post-war. Oregon Centennial Expo in 1959. Oh yes, those big Canadian national expositions in Toronto.

#4 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

It would be cool to have all of these things under one dedicated section.  Thanks.

#5 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

There was also a Detroit International Exposition and Fair in 1889.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: city, exposition, fair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users