September 1964

#2 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Okay, so what's the Norwegian flag doing there? hmmmmmmm......

Answer (as seen from the nearby New York State Pavilion observation deck)- the flagpole wasn't directly in front of the Pavilion of Paris, but was one of a series of flagpoles next door in front of International Plaza. Apparently the flags were of those countries represented in International Plaza, and of course we know that Norway had a shop there.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Was that bland structure actually considered--by anybody--during the course of the Fair to be the pavilion of France or any sort of official French presence?

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yes, Jim. It was actually called the Paris Pavilion - I fixed the topic heading. You can read more about it on my site at http://www.worldsfai...ywf64/paris.htm

Basically, there were grand plans for a France Pavilion, and they actually broke ground on it. Then suddenly the financing collapsed and this pavilion was thrown together. It was one of the more forgettable pavilions indeed. Amazingly, the building is still around, having been relocated after the Fair. Of all the ones to have survived...

#5 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Where is it today, Bill?

I do recall the Pavilion of Paris but I remember it certainly was not on anybody's list of must see exhibits. I just realized that after viewing so many wonderful shots of Expo posted by Roger, Gabriel and Nars, the international pavilions in NY seem so insignificant or less interesting. What a contrast in style and emphasis those two expositions offered.

Oh, I have not forgotten your offer to help me learn to scan photos etc. I will be in touch.

Jim

PS: Was this the same place that had those puppets that caused a scandal in Mr Moses' mind in 1964?

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

No Jim, the puppets indeed had a French name and Paris in the title, but had their own building over in the Lake Amusement area near the Aquacade stadium.

#7 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

As I recall, they were booted fairly early in 1964? Is that correct? Thanks for the info, Randy.

What, then, was in that Paris exhibit?

Oh, something else I have wondered, Did Mr Moses ever visit Expo 67? I mean, is there any record of him visiting or commenting about Expo? If he had done so, I have to suspect he would have been observant of the damage of the BIE sanction to the NYWF just by viewing those spectacular national pavilions.

#8 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

The Paris Pavilion was moved to Pennsylvania. More about it here: http://www.worldsfai...paris pavilion"

The puppets were in Les Poupees de Paris - more about that at http://www.worldsfai...f64/poupees.htm

The puppets were there both seasons. They had previously been at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair.

I don't think I've ever heard of Moses visiting Expo 67 - but I never heard that he didn't. :)

#9 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Thank you, Bill. I would certainly be an interesting discovery to learn if Mr Moses saw Expo and hear his comments but I am unsure how one would discover such information.

#10 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

More later on a few things that we know were in the Pavilion of Paris. Gotta get to work now.

#11 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Things you could see / visit inside the Pavilion of Paris:
  • L'Apocalypse book [billed as World's Most Expensive $1 million, and Heaviest- 460 lbs) (admission to the pavilion was free, but they charged a fee to see the book)
  • "Young French Artists" art show [all were priced to sell, at $5 to $75 max; shipping available too]
  • Walter's International Wax Museum
  • Parisian streets with boutique shops

Food places:
  • Crazy Horse Champagne Bar
  • Gigi Bar Americaine
  • Wine-tasting cellar
  • Sidewalk Cafe (across the street from NYS; different than Gigi)
Souvenirs you could buy at the Pavilion of Paris:
  • A French beret hat (I've seen it in blue and in white) with 'Pavilion of Paris' on it. [note: English spelling]
  • Eiffel Tower scarf, with 'New York World's Fair' tag
  • Marie Antoinette doll with really high bouffant hair-do and fancy dress
  • Pavillon De Paris pennant (I've seen a white one and a blue one)
  • Pinback button - PAVILLON DE PARIS
  • Stuffed poodle doll with tag Pavillon de Paris
  • Petit Larousse miniature book
  • Postcard showing Crazy Horse Champagne Bar
  • Postcard showing L'Apocalypse book
  • French paperback books
  • French newspapers
  • Gourmet foods
  • Perfumes
maps from nywf64.com: (I'm not sure all these exhibitors actually ended up in there- when it opened in early '64 the entire 2nd floor was still empty)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Regarding Les Poupees de Paris, they were also present at HemisFair '68.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users