September 1964

#2 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

This sure hides the expanse of blacktop in front. Is that a pool/fountain on the left? Don't remember it.

Edit: the floorplan at http://www.nywf64.com/rca05.shtml shows a pool.

#3 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

You'd think company as big as RCA would have used more than black and red lettering to promote COLOR TV.

This view looks generally toward the Singer Bowl, right?

#4 waynebretl

waynebretl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

You'd think company as big as RCA would have used more than black and red lettering to promote COLOR TV.

I think the word COLOR had several dark colors including dark green and dark blue, which the high slide film contrast has made almost unrecognizable.

Edit: Bill, if time permits, could you zoom in on the sign and brighten it to look for colored letters?

#5 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Will do if you remind me next week as I'm on the road through Tuesday

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have a 4000dpi scan of that slide:

64-09-35-10a_RCA_Pavilion.jpg

#7 waynebretl

waynebretl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks - dark green and blue as I thought, but hard to see.

#8 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks.  Boy that "See yourself on color TV" seemed exotic, didn't it?  Less than 20 years later, I was videotaping my family at home with better equipment than they had at the RCA pavilion.

My grandmother bought herself, and us, Muntz color TVs in 1966 (probably for Christmas).  My algebra tutor used to come to our house an hour early to watch the Monkees and Batman before my math lesson!

We spent half of every evening adjusting color, tint and vertical hold.  That was my job as a 14-year-old.... just as it had been my job to "drive" the Ford on the Magic Skyway a year earlier. There are certain things that fall within the realm of teenage boys.

#9 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Wow, Muntz! That's a blast from the past. Along with Curtis-Mathis. Those were sold direct, IIRC, and not thru dealers.

#10 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I bought a lot of stuff from Madman Muntz. He was quite a character. He loved to talk to his customers and show off his latest gadgets.

#11 waynebretl

waynebretl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Muntz became a verb: "to Muntz." 

To "Muntz" was to take parts out of a TV design until it failed to work and then replace the last part.  I don't know if he was able to accomplish any of that with color sets, though.  Would have to find a schematic diagram and see what was in one.

#12 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I never knew that, Wayne. Muntz had his headquarters in Van Nuys, CA. He had a Muntzmobile in the showroom and all sorts of past products. He had tried his own video format but finally gave up and became a Betamax dealer. I bought several systems from him, and always planned to spend some extra time for each trip as he was so interesting to talk to. He was a classic salesman type, that's for sure.

His slogan was something like "I would like to give them away but my wife won't let me. She thinks I'm crazy!"

#13 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I think there were two types of famiies in those days:  RCA families and Zenith families.  I do recall there were Admiral families and even Motorola families but their televisions never seemed to be quite real to me and I always felt sort of sorry for them.

#14 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

We were a Zenith family until the day in 1967 when we got our first color set, then we became an RCA family.  Of course after a vacation trip to Tokyo in 1971, the inevitable slide began toward becoming a Sony family.  My dad brought a small Sony black & white portable back with him.  Last I heard, it was still working, 41 years later!.  Dad still buys nothing but Sony today, well beyond Trinitron into the flat screen age, and I think he has a TV in every room in his house.  He's a brand loyal kind of guy and it takes a major impression to get him to switch to some other brand. :)

#15 EDDIE1957

EDDIE1957

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

My parents bought a color Zenith so I can watch Batman.It had a remote that clicked. My younger brother and i fought all the time for watching time so when I lost the tv to him, you could shake a belt buckle and the channels would change. I guess you had to hit that sonic tone for the remote to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users