7 replies to this topic

#1 xjoe

xjoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hello -

I'm researching the John Gund Brewing Company of La Crosse, Wisconsin. At the 1900 Paris Exposition, the Gund Brewing Company won the award of Medal and Diploma for its Peerless brand of beer.

What does the award of Medal and Diploma mean, exactly? Would the company have been given an actual medal or some other sort of object in recognition of the award?

Is there a source of information that would specify the date that the brewery was awarded the prize?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

#2 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,356 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Most international expositions up until the second world war, gave prizes in many categories--- consumer products, art, music, literature, and so on. Most *did* give a medal and a certificate to the award winner.

You've almost certainly seen the 1900 Paris medal and didn't realize it. It's printed on cans of Campbell's soup, right there on your supermarket shelves.
They won it for the concept of condensed, canned soup, which they had first produced just three years earlier, in 1897.. Just add water and heat it, and yummy, soup. Quite revolutionary.

These international exposition awards have always been cited in advertisements by the award winners.

#3 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think A-1 Steak Sauce is another product that displays awards on its label.

#4 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,356 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

It's very common on wine labels too.

#5 xl5er

xl5er

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Interesting factlet re Campbell's. Red and white based on Cornell football colors.

"The medallion on the center of the label went through a number of different iterations from 1898 to 1900, ending with the version seen in this post, which represents the medal the Campbell Soup Company received at the Exposition Universelle de 1900 in Paris. Thorn noted: The 1900 Paris medal was designed to replicate as accurately as possible the actual medal itself. It would be my guess that an engraver or the printing company’s engraver would have been employed to replicate the medal for printing. "

http://6thfloor.blog...lls-soup-label/

#6 xjoe

xjoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. In its advertising, the Gund Brewery definitely played up the fact that it’s Peerless brand beer won a medal at the Paris Exposition. (Coincidentally, I think the Peerless brand was also first produced around 1897.)

Was the recognition truly significant, though, aside from the “bragging rights”? After being recognized at the exposition, Gund advertised it’s Peerless beer as “world famous.” But I’m getting the sense that their beer wasn’t actually known around the world, at least not at the time of the exposition.

Regarding the award itself, is it possible that Gund received an object other than a medal? I’ve been studying an old photograph of the company’s brewery workers, and prominently displayed on the table in front of them is what looks like a pitcher of some sort. I can’t identify the object, but imagine something like a silver teapot or beer stein. I had wondered whether that object might have been a prize from the exposition (and hence the purpose of the photograph), but if the awards were only in the form of medals, then it is probably unrelated to the exposition.

Lastly, the exposition began in April, and I’ve found at least one Gund advertisement from July or August referencing the award from Paris. Is there any way to find out the date when Gund was selected for the award?

#7 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,356 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Somewhere on the internet is the final Post-Exposition Report from the Paris Organizing Committe, for the 1900 Expo. I remember reading through it, but I'm not sure where it is. I found it when I was looking for more information on the Globe Celeste. There are a number of 1900 enthusiasts from France and Belgium who check in on this board from time to time. Maybe they'll know.

#8 xjoe

xjoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Thanks Randy, that gives me more potential leads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users