Sign in to follow this  
gabriel3d

Then and Now - Expo 67, Cite du Havre

These are pics from the patio area of International Business Center at Cite du Havre.

The top left picture is a picture taken during Expo 67. Notice the concrete post with a sculpture, right behind the flowers.

The top right picture was taken in 1975. Some Japanese businessmen were visiting. The concrete post is the same one as the one pictured from 1967, without the sculputure that is.

In the bottom left pic, you can see the area as it presently looks today. The smaller circle situated in the larger circle of the pic, is where the concrete post used to be.

In the bottom right picture, you can see the concrete post. Some how, someone disloged the concrete post from where it used to be. It currently is about 150 feet away from where it originally was.

Gabrielcite_du_havre2.jpg

In the top right pic, you can see the Labyrith in the background.

In the following pic, you can see the International Photography Exhibition area. The sign is still there! Notice the small bush in front of the sign in 1967 pic. Now it has almost overtaken the sign. The sign must be over 15 feet high. cite_du_havre3.jpg

Great post,Gabriel.

Just like the sign and the concrete post that are still there at Cité du Havre,I noticed a similar remnant of Expo 67 on Notre-Dame Island.Remember the People of Canada pictures that would form the leaves of a maple tree,between the Ontario and Canada pavilions?

1zdm2w6.jpg

Last summer,I took this picture of the concrete foundation on which it stood.

1kjrb.jpg

Hi Nars, thanks. Very interesting that you posted this. I thought the same thing initially (took some pictures of it this past summer as well), but discussing this with some other Expo fans, the conclusion was that it was not in the correct location. The "People Tree" (as it was called) base should be further back. I have to confirm if this is indeed correct, next time I go there.

In the background pic (present one) you can see the building where the Tundra restaurant used to be. The People Tree is supposed to be set further back more near the back of the Tundra building. The concrete base in question is more near the middle of the Tundra building.

This stuff is endlessly fascinating. Thank you to all of you who are providing these photographs.

Gabriel,maybe you're right about the exact location of the People tree,that is,being closer to the Tundra restaurant.What confuses me is that the People tree seems very close to the bridge between the Canada and Ontario pavilions on this picture.The concrete base on my photo,is located close to that same bridge that still exists today.

o53orm.jpg

Hi Nars. Interesting that you would use that picture for reference, I also used it, when I was trying to determine the location of the People Tree. If you look at the People Tree in that postcard, the base of the People Tree is situated further back from the bridge guard rail. The concrete base in the present location is almost right along the road that passes by that bridge. This means the People Tree base in the postcard would had to have been in line with the bridge guard rail.

P.S. Interesting trivia, a lot of people don't notice that there are people in the foreground that are looking at something. They are looking down at the children playing in the Children's Creative Centre. It was basically a children's play ground, situated below ground level and was right beside the canal.

Hi,Gabriel.I dug up all the People Tree pictures on my computer,and found one that was very dark.I increased the brightness and had a view of what I was looking for:

nfps47.jpg

So,you are right about the correct location of the People Tree.Then,I wander what use was made of the round concrete base I took a picture of.Got any idea?

There's something else I've been wandering about,since I discovered it in the summer of 2011.I was walking near the canal on Notre-Dame island,east of the former Expo Express station.As I reached the place where the Cuba pavilion was located,among the bushes along the canal,I saw something and took a picture over the fence,blocking me to get closer to it:

35ndb8o.jpgAs one can see,it is fairly close to the water,visible in the upper left corner.The bridge is approximately 35 feet on the right.I indicated the approximate location on this photo:

339t1e8.jpg

Do you,or anybody else reading this,know what this object is?

I wish I could meet you in person, Nars, simply because I do not believe I actually know anyone who is as fascinated by a concrete block or a unique metal device hdden in the grass as much as I am. I have no real clue what it might be but my first guess, because you indicate it is close to the canal site, is that it was a mooring post of some sort for boats docking along the canal. That is just a guess. Whatever it is, it was a part of Expo and that makes it a treasure.

• Like 1

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Nars, nice documentation. I don't know what that is, I can only guess like Jim, it is a boat moor? I'll keep an eye out for it in vintange Expo pics! P.S. Jim, I've fasinated with some obsucre Expo artifacts as well. I'll post some in the future, like Expo 67 transformers, fire hydrants, bases for poles, etc. :-)

Here is a before and after of the Sudden Shower fountain from the exact location. It was very beautiful in it's day. The glass disks glowed at night, and water fell down from one disk to the other. The fountain was located at Cite du Havre, and is still there in it's neglected state.

Notice the white fiberglas Expo lights in the background, most of them are still there, or parts of it. ss12_before_after.jpg

Actually, the Sudden Shower fountain is in such bad shape that I always wondered why they kept it - it's almost impossible to repair it now!. That fountain was superb at night and it should have been moved instead of laying there in ruins....

Everytime I go there it infuriate's me...

Roger

International Business Centre was still standing in 1975, when these Japanese business men were visiting. In the after picture, the yellow higlighted circle is where the concrete post used to be. The concrete post held a sculpture during Expo 67. The concrete post is about 150 feet (near the Sudden Shower fountain) in the present day.

You can see the concrete patio in Bing maps. http://binged.it/UmGwzpcite_du_havre7.jpg

Another before and after of the International Business Center (1975 vs today). The stairs are still there and the flowers that were originally planted in 1967 are still blooming every spring, even though there is no mainteance being done in the area, other than cutting the grass. cite_du_havre6.jpg

Gabriel,these then and now shots are perfect.I've gone a few times at Cité du Havre.I found these grounds,which are not private property,extremely desolate.It looks like a bunch of relics of an antique civilization,scattered here and there.

Those responsible for letting the Sunden Shower fountain fall to pieces,should be ashamed of themselves.Soon,they'll say it has to be torn down,just like they'll probably completely demolish Place des Nations for the same reason:negligence from their part!

Hi Gabriel,

Was the fine arts building located on Cite du Havre and what use does the structure have today? It is almost creepy looking at the people on the walkway and the damaged deserted pavement today. I think I see a tiny pine tree (now fully grown) in the background near the building. Also, how many of those massive eectronic signs were on the grounds?

Thank you for these!

Jim

Hi Jim, yes, the fine arts building was located at Cite du Havre. It was very near the Place d'accueil and International Broadcast Center. Right after Expo 67, the Museum of Contemary Art moved in, until the early 1990's, when they moved to downtown, near Place des Arts. The building I believe has not been used since then.

You can see the building location and as it looks today on Bing Maps. http://binged.it/UAOXND

I'm not sure how many of the electronic signs there were, I'd estimate around 10 to 20.