j4sing

1964 Fair's HMS Bounty abandoned at sea due to H. Sandy

The crew had to abandon ship off North Carolina after the ship lost power and the pumps failed.

Coast guard rescued the crew. Ship was still upright at time of this story, not sure if CG can save her or

if she will go down to the bottom.

http://news.sky.com/story/1004141/hms-bounty-crew-abandon-ship-in-hurricane

Hi Jason!

Just as I clicked on your Bounty story, they reported it on the radio, just now. PTU continues to provide up-to-the-minute reporting!

Now they just reported the Coast Guard confirms that the Bounty has sunk and it's possible a few crew members are missing.

Yes, the word is, it sunk. Very sad. We lost the Santa Maria to fire in Jacksonville, and now the Bounty.

What is left.... just those Maroda boats on Lake Canobie, and perhaps an Amphicar somewhere?

We pray for the families of the two crew members still missing (14 of the 16-member crew were rescued).

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/29/coast-guard-monitoring-tall-ship-in-distress-off-north-carolina-with-17-aboard/

Sad news. I remember touring the Bounty in Chicago ten years ago. i'm really surprised it was at sea at all in the midst of all this.

Prayers for the family of those who are missing.

What sad news. It just amazes me that they were trying to sail it through a storm like this one.

They thought they would be able to sail around the storm but miscalculated.

I got to see the Bounty in St Petersburg in 2009 right before I moved back up to NY.

Have a great picture of it from that day, but I've wasted a half hour already trying to post it on this message and aparantly I cannot post pictures here. Sorry people.

Sad news. I only saw the Bounty once before--from the deck of the battleship Massachussetts in Fall River, MA around 12 years ago or so. I had forgotten that the Santa Maria burned. a lot of sad nautical news today.

One interview said that the crew expected the storm to pass further out to sea and thought they could slip between it and the shore. The storm took a more decided westerly track and hit them. I'm still scratching my head on this, though, as that western curve was actually predicted several days ago. It's hard to understand why they didn't reverse course and head away from the storm instead of towards it, or at a minimum head to some port and try to secure the ship. Even if it sunk in a port it would have had a better chance of salvage - but even more importantly, it wouldn't have risked the lives of the Bounty crew or the Coast Guard crews that had to rescue them.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I can't understand this one. They've been warning about this storm in very strong terms for quite some time.

Sadly I updated my Bounty page to reflect the loss.

This is the MGM Bounty, correct? That toured all over before coming to the NYWF?

Just grossly irresponsible to put that vessel in harm's way like that!

I've always heard that one of the standards of the U.S. Navy is to 'put to sea' when a storm approaches, rather than stay in port. Captains of large ships seem to think they can do better maneuvering against huge waves, than to be beat to death tied to a wharf. But I suspect that the engines on a Navy ship are kept up much better than those on the Bounty. If you're going to try to maneuver in big waves, it's absolutely critical that you have complete propulsion dependability. And... it appears that she sank because the bilge pumps failed (and stopping forward movement when the main engines failed allowed water to come in even faster), she didn't break up structurally from the waves or wind.

However, when they were abandoning ship into the lifeboats, three of them were swept overboard when a big wave hit--- one of those swam to a lifeboat and the other two drowned. That is certainly directly attributable to the hurricane.

The loss of the ship itself may get chalked up to poor mechanical maintenance, and given the known lack of dependability of the engines, poor judgement of the captain to leave port. I think they'll also examine how Coast Guard inspectors overlooked the condition of the engines, if they were in such bad shape. Maybe they'll recommend changes to inspection procedures in the future.

saw her up close just this past Summer in Port Jefferson, Long Island - so sad to see this news :(