Sign in to follow this  
Roger

45 yrs ago - Last weekend of Expo 67 - 20 yrs after - Desolation

95 % was demolished. The Calder sculpture was kept, and moved, the Biosphere, of course is still there and the Korea wooden tower and the upper part of the pavilion was also kept (the tower was destroyed this year).

These photos are just incredible! It must have been a very stange feeling to walk among the ruins of a place that was so beautiful. :(

Yes - I still feel blue even today. But I'm glad I took the photos since most of the demolition sort of went unoticed.

Roger

It really went unnoticed? Amazing. All of the anticipation when the fair was built and all of the affection Expo generated and demolition was not a big deal to Montreal. When I saw those photographs all I could think is that it must have caused such sorrow in that city. I think that is the Netherlands pavilion in the second photograph. It was such a remarkable building and it was demolished without an after thought; how unfortunate.

Actually, the Korean tower is in the storage/dump area of Iles Notre-Dame. Not sure if it is still there, last time I checked was a few months ago. korean_log.gif

I actually have the blade that they used to cut it down. I found the blade nearby, after they had cut it down. I didn't see them cutting it down.

I just found this thread. I cannot believe that tower is there as debris. That is incredible. Talk about a great artifact to rescue!

Agreed Jim. I was on the island over the weekend, but didn't get a chance to check if it was still there. I did check the tower out, close-up awhile back, and it looked to be in very good shape, just one log was rotten, that didn't effect the tower structurally. So I'm not sure why it was cut down.