Jim

Hurricane Sandy

Quick check in while I have power. Winds gusting in upstate NY. It's now larger than the 1938 Long Island Express and that is terrible because that was the worst Northeast storm of the 20th Century. Got no clue what to expect but it is almost here. Family is far away. FM park is one big empty and it can take a bath. 50 million people are in the path of this thing and it has the power to destroy. Lots of scared people. I am one of them.

I can't check back till it is all over.

Lost power at 6:50 but it came back five minutes later. My region is coming through this okay and if power is still on after 2 AM I think I'll be home free. But right now, Manhattan, Long Island and the Jersey Shore are all devastated.

Looks like the worst is over here in Northeast CT. We didn't get a ton of rain, but plenty of wind. We lost power early in the evening, but by some shear miracle, it came back on 2 hours later! What a relief.... I can deal with no power, but no running water really makes things hard. Plus we really couldn't afford to lose all the food in our fridge like we did last year after Irene.

Feeling very thankful to have spared from the worst. My thoughts go out to all the folks along the CT shoreline who are getting serious flooding along with those in NYC and New Jersey. Historic flooding for sure.

Hope everyone else is safe.

Lucked out here. We had very strong winds and some scary gusts, but never lost our electricity. We almost feel guilty since all of our friends and relatives are without power as of 11AM on Tuesday. It's a beautiful, late-summer-ish day today. No wind... sunny and clear. I hope everyone else made out as good as we did!

The next town over (Windham, NH) reports 99% of the homes are without power. I have four friends who live in the same general section of Windham, and they tend to lose it for a week to 10 days when the lose it. They have generators, but then, they're slaves to the generators, adding gasoline every few hours.

In the Nyack NY area (former home to the Warner Collection, Dexter Press and Lester and Associates) we didn't have much rain, we had a lot of wind and most of the county here, 2/3 is without power and will likely be without power for several days or more.

Coastal areas got hit very hard. I hope all is well with family and friends.

Lost power at 8:30 last night in Morristown and it could be gone for a long while. But otherwise, we're safe and wanted to check in quickly from an internet connection in front of the library in Chatham to do that. Hope everyone else is fine.

Checking in from Forest Hills...1 mile from FMCP. We never lost power. Wind was pretty strong yesterday but my apt. complex (built 1939-40) did not lose any of our vintage trees.

Parts of Queens (The Rockaways, Breezy Point, Belle Harbor) are devestated. Fires destroyed 80 homes in Breezy.

No subways for at least 4 days. The city is basically crippled without mass transit.

I have not seen any news coverage of Corona so i dont know about the park, unfortunately

Just got my power back after 28 hours without it. JCPL reported 960,000 people without power among their customers so I feel lucky we were in the first zone to get power back. Some areas I know will be without it for maybe a couple weeks.

The big damage here in Morris County is downed trees. One fell over and crushed a car in a driveway up the block from us, and in Chatham, where I used to live a house was damaged up the street from our old house, but for the most part I've seen amazingly little house damage from trees with most just falling into streets or taking down power lines.

With the power back and with no work for me until Monday this will be a time of recuperation and relaxing to get back to snuff. The 28 hours without power was not too much of an inconvenience since we still had hot water but nighttime was getting bad due to the cold temperatures and I would have been more concerned for my mother's health if she'd had to endure many nights in a cold house. Thankfully that's no longer an issue.

Glad to hear everyone else is coming through fine.

Any word/photos of how the World's Fair Marina and Willets Point are looking after Sandy? Would the proposed addition of 6' of soil over the Willets Point auto salvage yards have helped to make this water front property?

ServalUhaul-L.jpg

Jeeezzz, an acquaintance of ours was killed by a tree falling on his car while driving during the hurricane. To make things worse, his wife was stuck in Florida after it happened, due to the closed airports. A terrible shame.. but a valuable lesson to the rest of us. When they say to stay off the roads. Stay off the roads.

FMCP and all NYC parks remain closed until further notice while the Parks Dept assesses damage.

However, I have seen ONE photo from somebody who ventured out to Meadow Lake. You can see the high water mark where a pile of leaves is left on the ground.

There are also some photos from Citifield, where a steel barrier was erected around the outside of the stadium to protect it.

The Citifield parking lot was also turned into a giant bus parking area by the MTA. They elected to move all buses out of a low-lying Willets Point yard to higher ground at Citifield, so several hundred buses are now parked there.

I also saw a photo of a train passing through Willets Point, and the photographer said it was after Sandy had passed through. I thought all rail service was shut down, including Long Island. hmmm....

Lots of photos of LaGuardia with the flooded runways and tarmacs. In a couple, you can see Citifield and the Unisphere in the distant background. I spotted the marina too, but it's too distant to look for the Candela structures.

Don't forget that this summer a tornado hit the Unisphere and it tore off Sri Lanka and broke one of the ring cables. Both were repaired and Sri Lanka re-welded on in August, before the U.S. Tennis Open came to town.

Which goes to show--- the Unisphere is probably not going to ever blow away, but it *can* be damaged.

At the time, Newsday interviewed some local immigrants from Sri Lanka about how they felt about the "insult". They said they're glad to be here- it's a lot worse in Sri Lanka.

• Like 1

Lost power for a day. Back on line now. I am so sorry for the suffering in New York City.

I'm beginning to realize more today how lucky I've been to have power back these last four days. Some sections of our complex never got their power back, many traffic lights and areas adjoining us still have no power and we're now on odd-even gas rationing for the first time since 1979 as a result of the shortages. And this is the region nowhere near to what's happened on Staten Island and at the Shore.