Bill Cotter

A different angle on the Log Flume Ride and Jaycopter

Can you get a really high definition scan of that Molderama machine at the Jaycopter entrance, and see if it reveals which figurine was molded at that location? It's directly behind the cube luminaire pole in this photo. The sample figurine is visible in the machine's display window on the left side of the back panel. It looks like maybe it's an orange-colored figurine.

Other things of note in this photo:

• World's Fair police car in the lower left.
  • The blue & white fringe awning of the other nearby Molderama machine is visible in the Brass Rail area on the left. A couple of foot massage machines too.
  • The little white building at the center, with red trim. There is a circular sign on top that looks kind of like a donut. Could this be a vendor we hadn't identified to this point? Bill, is there anything identifiable in that "donut sign" on top of the little white building? It looks like a food vendor of some kind.

It looks like that attendant is standing in the middle of the water trough on the log flume ride, right after a log has run him over! LOL

Unfortunately I can't make out the details on the Moldarama machine. The slide is clear enough that I can read a sign on the Brass Rail pointing towards telephones, but the Moldarama is just a bit to far back and slightly shadowed. I believe the building with the "donut" is an Orange Julius stand. The donut is at a slight angle so I can't read it directly but it looks like the right number of letters. I know that Orange Julius was not at all happy with their location at the Texas Pavilions; perhaps they had more than one. Or perhaps this waas "the" stand, being across from Texas and not actually on the Texas grounds? BTW, did you know Orange Julius was the Official Soft Drink of the Fair? Says so at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Julius so it must be true. Somehow I really doubt that Pepsi and Coke would have allowed that to take place!

The guy on the log flume does look like he's standing in the trough. His arm makes a perfect shadow to complete the illusion. I had missed that, good eyes!

There are two of those foot massager machines at the far left of the Brass Rail area.

Boy, your eyes are good! I can't make out anyone ao the flume. Could be me... There was a place for an attendant at the apex of each hill where we were to make sure that people were seated.

The Jaycopter shot I just posted shows the coin operated versions. I can't figure out what the three towers are in the Flume Ride shot. There are stairs but no signs of a slide.

There are 3 slides, Bill, and we can see the top of 2 of them (purple color, if the restoration has it right). First I'd noticed of these slides.

Come to think of it, with these slides, the one at the Wisconsin Pavilion, and the one at the Denmark Pavilion (and maybe one behind the Hall of Education in their playground?)... we could start a whole new topic called Slides on Slides... LOL :D

OK, I see what you mean. Here's a close-up of the tops of those towers.

log-flume-towers-2.jpg

The slides look like you would be very dizzy by the time you got to the ground.

Now that I know what to look for, here is a zoom-in on a distant September 1964 view from the Monorail passing near the Texas Pavilion, showing three kids at the top of the slides.

I can also confirm that the slides were still there in 1965.

64-09-42-33x_Lake%20Amusement_Area.jpg

Back to the Jaycopter, it looks like the counterweight operated on a chain drive, like a bicycle or motorcycle. Operated of course, from the cockpit, probably with some kind of automatic balance algorithms.

Yes, Franksville was a hot dog stand, and we have a topic on it including a view of their sign, which matches the logo of a Franksville hot dog franchise in the Chicago area.

But we've yet to find anybody who actually ate there... not even a guy who worked next door at the Log Flume ride. He didn't even remember Franksville.

I think we concluded that Franksville didn't even make it to the end of the first season. Probably not their fault, just a really bad location.