Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

1980 - Les Floralies Internationales de Montreal

I just added the entire presskit for this floral show, which was a major component of Man and His World for the 1980 season, to my site. You can find it at http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/expo67/man-and-his-world/index.htm down near the bottom of the page.

It was interesting reading about which of the long vacant Exp 67 pavilions on Ile Notre-Dame they had finally torn down and which ones they refurbished for this show. That's all in the Ile Notre-Dame file. Lots more information there, hope you enjoy it!

Bill

I'll be looking forward to it, Roger. I imagine it was a real thrill to see those pavilions that had sat empty for so long being brought back to life.

My pleasure, Jim. I am digging through boxes in the garage in an attempt to bring a semblance of order to the chaos that is out there, now that it has cooled off enough. I'm finding all sorts of fun things.

When you mention boxes of materials, that really sparks my interest. What else do you have in those treasure troves, Bill? Are these items you have collected along the way or how is it you came by these Expo memories? I cannot recall if you said you visited Expo but your obvious interest and your precision in each post suggests that you did. When did you visit and what makes Expo so memorable for you? What mememtos do you have from Expo?

Several years ago, after the epic Northeast flooding of 2006, I helped to clean the basement of my friend's invalid grandmother. It was packed full of treasures of all sorts that she just wanted to be gone. Some items had clearly been damaged by rising flood waters while some things were OK. I found two items that she told me I could take: a 1964 NYWF kids bicycle license plate and a mint condition Expo 67 change purse. That was like finding gold only better. Oh, I also found a 1935 Great States iron push mower that she allowed me to take and which I use every summer, but that doesn't quite fit into the world's fair genre.

I was lucky to get to Expo and later Man and His World in the 1969-73 window when I was in college relatively close by. I still have the souvenirs I picked up then, mostly free giveaways as I was on a low budget. In later years I purchased a great deal of material at auctions of the Peter Warner estate. I'm slowly going through it - we're talking boxes of stuff - and sorting it all out. It's a fun treasure hunt.

That is how I feel, Bill--I was lucky to get to Expo and then to Man and His World several times in the mid-1970's. It was an amazing place.