Bill Cotter

Aurora-7 display

Things were SO different back in October 1964, which is when this slide is dated.

aurora-7.jpg

"Step right up and touch the priceless spacecraft"!

No protection at all. Today there would be barriers to keep hands off, and most likely a giant chain to keep someone from driving off with it. That's if it was still displayed outside, which is also highly unlikely.

I sure remember seeing this at the Fair, though, and am glad that back then you could get so close.

Of course if anyone had actually tried to steal the capsule they would have had to deal with the crack NASA operatives cleverly concealed throughout the Space Park.

ranger.jpg

OT: Claustrophobia sufferers need not apply! I wonder why they used those embossed panels on the Mercury capsules.

Must have provided structural rigidity, but Gemini and Apollo didn't have them.

Actually Mike, the Gemini capsules had the same "Rene 41" panels as Mercury - and of course they were made in the same factory at McDonnell in St. Louis. You are right, the ridges added structural rigidity because of concerns over "buckling" in the extreme thermal environments the capsules were to encounter. BTW Rene 41 is an exotic metal made up of Chromium, Cobalt, Molybdenum, Titanium and Aluminum.

-Robert

Anyone else spot the caption error?  The Ranger spacecraft never "landed" on the moon.  They crashed into it.  (As they were designed to do)

On 5/23/2018 at 3:41 PM, sunguar said:

Anyone else spot the caption error?  The Ranger spacecraft never "landed" on the moon.  They crashed into it.  (As they were designed to do)

It was what we pilots nonchalantly refer to as a "hard landing."

Some of my landings might also qualify as crashes, at least per some of my instructors...

Both my Delta pilot brothers had some horror stories about landing a plane. Both agreed that a typical flight was a few hours of total boredom punctuated by a few minutes of stark terror. Then there was one of my MBA classmates, CEO of a regional airline whose horror involved one of his pilots---sent to pick up an airline magazine writer---forgot to put down the landing gear on his return! I wonder if the skid marks are still there.

• Like 1