xl5er

Jetsons 50th Anniversary

"Why the Show Still Matters" by Paleofuture blogger Matt Novak.

From Jetpacks to robot helpers, the Jetsons' 1962 vision of the future influences us still. Surprised to learn the show ran for only one season and 24 episodes.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/paleofuture/2012/09/50-years-of-the-jetsons-why-the-show-still-matters/

Leave us not forget the epic and pivotal meeting of the Jetsons and the Flintstones.

In our minds, we all visualize huge tie-ins with the early 60's Jetsons TV show, and the 1964-65 New York World's Fair... especially with architecture.

There is at least one real-world tie-in, years later

The voice of Judy Jetson, Janet Waldo, also provided the voice for Grandmother on the Carousel of Progress when Disney re-recorded it in 1994. At the World's Fair, the voice had been provided by Peggy Stewart.

Of course, Seattle's Century 21 World's Fair likes to claim a Jetsons heritage too. :)

• Like 1

Oh yeahhhhh. I'll be singin' that all day! At least it'll clear out It's a Small World for a few hours!

Was there ever a Jetsons movie? Seems like they could come up with a few easy story lines. They pulled it off really well with John Goodman as Fred Flintstone. I'll bet they could have a winner with a Jetsons movie. It was entertaining on so many levels.

Two things I never knew about The Jetsons: Mel Blanc was the voice of Mr. Spacely and it was the very first show broadcast in color on ABC. I am also surprised to read (above) that the show only had 24 epsisodes.

Yeah, but anything after the original season just doesn't seem al that worthy. That cartoon was perfect for the excitement of the space race, the Seatte World's Fair and the age of Tang.