Diggins

Abraham Lincoln Bronze Plaque

Hello, I am new to to the Community (Today is first day). I have had a bronze plaque all my life and it's from the 64/65 World's Fair. I have attached the front and back pics. It was made by Medallic Art Co. It's got a Lincoln quote and then a message. Other than that, I have no clue where I got it, what it was for and or what, and if any value it could have. Does anyone know anything about this item? I appreciate you help!!!

P.S. Actually I can't load both pics to this post, so I'll load the back of the bronze plaque to the next post.post-5562-0-56588000-1347649277_thumb.jp

Likely a souvenir sold at the Illinois pavilion. How big is it? It is a replica of a plaque that became the basis for the Lincoln penny:

(about 2/3 down the page)

http://www.alincolnbookshop.com/html/prints_paintings_sculpture.htm

Looking forward to seeing the back side.

The gift shop at the Illinois Pavilion did sell a lot of different Lincoln souvenirs. And Medallic Art is known to have supplied numerous pavilions with medallions and similar items in '64-65.

That said, the most commonly known Lincoln Medallion from the '64-65 Illinois Pavilion was not from Medallic Art, but from Stafford Mfg. of Brooklyn.

Hey Jerry. Love the 'Cuda, but I want the '63 split window 'Vette.

IS that the "VDB" that's on some pennies, on the bottom of that plaque? He designed that enduring penny. From Wikipedia: His Lithuanian name at birth was Viktoras Barnauskas, but he changed the name to Victor David Brenner, because this made it easier to obtain American citizenship.

WGN is the big station in Chicago.

For whatever this info is worth.... I found out that original castings of this bas-relief plaque which are dated 1909, sell at auction for about $3,000.

hmmmm..... although the picture links are broken, it looks like 7 years ago something was offered on eBay... not sure exactly what..some kind of WGN medal

So, WGN got a silver medal for helping to get Illinois to have a pavilion? That's how I read the ad. Man, they must have handed out a ton of those, considering the people who probably lobbied to support the various pavilions. Most of the medals were probably melted down in the early 1980s when silver spiked as the Hunt bros. tried to corner the market on silver.

So, WGN got a silver medal for helping to get Illinois to have a pavilion? That's how I read the ad. Man, they must have handed out a ton of those, considering the people who probably lobbied to support the various pavilions. Most of the medals were probably melted down in the early 1980s when silver spiked as the Hunt bros. tried to corner the market on silver.

Pardon my skepticism, but maybe only silver plated?

...Medallic Art is known to have supplied numerous pavilions with medallions and similar items in '64-65.

That said, the most commonly known Lincoln Medallion from the '64-65 Illinois Pavilion was not from Medallic Art, but from Stafford Mfg. of Brooklyn.

Has anyone ever found a catalog or inventory list showing specific pavilion medallions? Is there a list of those supplied by Medallic Art?

It still is a mystery to me how the RCA pavilion medallions were distributed. I don't think RCA had a souvenir stand (?), and I haven't seen a list of such things at the general souvenir stands. Yet, there seem to be too many that have shown up for them to have been VIP specials. On the other hand, I have never seen one with packaging, which would tend to say they were given instead of purchased. Maybe they were given to visiting RCA dealers? So far, it doesn't add up.

I have about 20 or so different medallions in my collection- all tucked precariously into an album (some of the medallions are way too heavy for the flimsy plastic pages).

One of my favorites is from the Spain Pavilion. It looks like an old doubloon, and is very heavy.

Spain_medallion.jpg

One of my favorites is from the Spain Pavilion. It looks like an old doubloon, and is very heavy.

Very Nice! How do you find such things (besides ebay)?

I decided to chase medallions a bit more today. It seems that Medallic Art Company was bought by Northwest Territorial Mint some time ago, and this year NWTM underwent a reorganization and sold the assets (dies, etc.) of Medallic Art. I sent a note to NWTM today to ask if they have any records of NYWF business, but I'm guessing it's far too late. We shall see if anything comes of this. 

• Like 1