Bill Cotter

The United Nations

This pavilion doesn't turn up a lot. I enjoyed this angle.

united-nations.jpg

August 1965

I hadn't realized there was a patio area outside, where the fountain was in 1964.

In Bill's Set 30 Picture #41, I see a sign that shows that corner patio was named the International Sandwich Bar. The sign has menu prices. For some reason they changed the price of tuna fish on the menu board. Maybe there was a tuna crisis in 1965 or something.

They sure pumped the literature through that little place!

I had always assumed that the U.N. literature was coming from the Pepsi Pavilion. But maybe that was just Unicef, and the rest of it was distributed through this small former Sierra-Leone pavilion.

I do have the United Nations Pavilion on my site: http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/sierra-leone.htm

Perhaps Bill Young will see this thread and add it to his.

Here's the menu Randy mentioned:

united-nations-menu.jpg

Now the question is - did the price of tuna go up or down?

And I do remember they gave away a lot of UN literature there. I still have some of it, all dull stuff about UN programs but it was free, so of interest to a landfill collector with no money.

• Haha 1

It would be interesting to know how the negotiations went for the UN to take over this pavilion - I wonder if Moses pushed for it, to keep it open.

Also, I recall the water shortage in '65, which would have helped the decision to eliminate the fountain. Does anyone know if there was a shortage in '64 also?

I remember seeing an artist's concept for a United Nations pavilion that was to been have located where the Vatican ended up. A much larger building with a ride through in globe-shaped gondolas. Anybody have this drawing?

I had absolutely no idea there was a UN pavilion or exhibit or whatever it was supposed to be at the NYWF. There is NO mention of it in the 1964 or the 1965 Official Guide. What gives? When was it there and where was it located? Did it exist both years? Was it some sort of after thought?

Now that I think about it, I wonder why the UN not have a more impressive presence as they did at Expo 67 two years later. The UN had a very popular and creative pavilion on Ile Notre Dame near the Canadian Katimavik and across from Great Britain. Oddly, some of the structure remains today but only as a ruin.